Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to Cabela's to the other day and I happened to pick up a new little Marlin .17 HM2. I thought it would be a fun little rifle to shoot the bunnies with since it is an auto for quick follow-up shots, and has open sights. Can I expect pretty close to the same results as the .17 HMR on furry targets? I've got a Savage .17 HMR bolt action and have loved that little tack driver on pot guts and rabbits, but I thought it would be fun to give this little rifle a try. Since my HMR wears a scope, I think this one should go naked for quicker, closer shooting.

I'll post some pics of the results of her first time. *(())*

·
Premium Member
4,049 Posts
I'd love to hear about your results with this caliber. The rumors that I've heard is that you can expect results similar to CCI Stingers.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Dude,
put a red dot scope sight or receiver peep sight on it. That's FAST target acquisition!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I knew going into this purchase that the HM2 gets about 300 fps less than the HMR, which was no big deal considering ammo is considerably less. Most places have HMR for $11-12 a box, and HM2 $7-9 a box, but I did just buy a crapload online for $3.99 a box for Remington brand. I'd love to hear from anyone who has seen the fur fly with this caliber because there is knowledge on paper and knowledge in the field, and I've done enough reading of data. I want war stories I guess. Anyways, I appreciate everyone's input and interest. I'm just itching to go try it out, but I've got a family wedding this weekend. _/O If all goes well I have a rabbit hunt set up next week and hopefully there will be photo opportunities. -()/-

G

·
Surfer Coyote said:
Can I expect pretty close to the same results as the .17 HMR on furry targets?
No. The HMR is based on the 22 WMR, the HM2 is based on the CCI Stinger, so there is about the same disparity between the two in velocity and energy. It offers a big improvement over 22 LR in velocity and trajectory, but the tiny 17 grain bullets lose energy quickly and aren't really effective beyond 100 yards. The HMR shoots the same 17 grain VMAX bullets but it pushes them out there a lot faster and still has enough energy down range for 150-200 yard kills. I've even heard of guys who hunt yotes with them. Don't get me wrong, I think the HM2 is a great addition to the rimfire line and I'm sure you will love it, but don't expect it to perform at the same level as the HMR.

Here is an excellent review: http://www.chuckhawks.com/17_M2.htm

1 - 6 of 6 Posts