Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My inlaws neighbor was duck hunting up Spanish Fork Canyon last week, when 2 Mexican Gray wolves came out from behind him and tried to attack him. My guess is they were after his dog since they are extremely territorial. He tried to scare them away with no luck, so he had to shoot them both. He didn't tell anyone for three days, but nightmares night after night led him to call my father in law, so he went to investigate and sure enough, they were wolves, one male, one female. I would give more details about the incident, but I am not sure how much I should publisize right now. I saw pictures and video footage, it was pretty interesting.

·
Administrator
21,399 Posts
The Mexican Gray Wolf is nearly extinct. Last I knew there were only 170 or so left in the world, found very far south of Spanish Fork Canyon.

The "other" gray wolf, Timber, Canadian or whatever it's called, is rapidly moving south out of Yellowstone. One was trapped in Morgan. They are now in my favorite western Wyoming elk hunting areas screwing up things. I think Idaho will have a wolf hunt in 2008.

It is possible Timber wolves were seen.

·
Administrator
21,399 Posts
JAT83 said:
That's possible, I was just stating what the biologist said
Wow, interesting.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
:shock: I'd like to see pictures of them to see if its the same "dogs" I saw running together in the area.... Thats too bad that he had to shoot them but I do agree with what he did.... nobody gets the duck dog!! :lol:

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
The Mexican Gray wolf is EXPANDING throughout New Mexico and southeastern Arizona. I would not be surprised to find out a pair had moved this far north. I have a few outfitter buddies in New Mexico that have run ins with wolves on a regular basis.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
proutdoors said:
The Mexican Gray wolf is EXPANDING throughout New Mexico and southeastern Arizona. I would not be surprised to find out a pair had moved this far north. I have a few outfitter buddies in New Mexico that have run ins with wolves on a regular basis.
Do they not "pack up" like Timber or Gray wolves? Is that why you'd think they are showing up in pairs as opposed to the bigger packs that are pretty much the "standard" when people think of wolves in the wild?

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
I can't wait until Idaho gets to hunt them because I will want to get me one or two or 10 or 15 :D

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Then why not drag them in for positive ID? If they are attacking you then you have the right to defend yourself. This whole thing is fishy and stinks of urban (rural) legend.

·
Registered
582 Posts
The last S in "SSS" is shut up about it. shooting a wolf is a good thing, like freeing a slave in the 1850s was a good thing, but both were illegal. Don't bring attention to it, or the feds may get after you. -)O(-

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I hear ya! That same mentality goes for all the poachers who shoot deer, elk and other game. It's a good thing to them, just don't go bragging about it. Know what I mean? :wink:

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
For those doubting the Mexican Gray wolf being a 'legit' possibility: http://www.azgfd.gov/w_c/es/wolf_reintroduction.shtml

We are being 'invaded' from the north and the south. This isa 'Utah' problem, wolves here will have huge effects on game management and hunting opportunities.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
So my question remains: Why the secrecy? If they really are invading from the South, wouldn't we want to know more about it? Wouldn't we want to have some type of management plan? I'm amazed at how you hunters just want to blast anything that might eat one of your deer or elk. Spanish Fork is a ways from Arizona. I would imagine if those two made it here, the others will soon be following. Maybe if those two looked a year old, they are just pups from an ever exploding population already hiding in the mountains.

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
You know a few years ago a guy asked a fur trader where I live what kind of dog he had just killed in the mountains and after investigation and DNA samples it was a wolf. He killed it on Nebo. Can wolves migrate from New Mexico or AZ? You bet they can. A collared Lynx was found in Beaver and it came from Canada. So if a little lynx can migrate from Canada then surely a wolf can migrate from Mexico. Wolves have already came from Yellowstone to Utah.

Here is another story. Bald mtn just North of Nebo has 1 Rocky mtn bill goat and 3 nannies. They weren't transplanted there, but they migrated. One nanny was collared in the Uintahs? Do you think they came from the Uintahs?

·
Premium Member
4,049 Posts
There are NO wolves in Utah. Please shoot all of the extra large coyotes that you see.

·
Premium Member
8,234 Posts
Loke said:
There are NO wolves in Utah. Please shoot all of the extra large coyotes that you see.
LOKE FOR VICE PRESIDENT !!!!!!..... :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
fatbass said:
HighNDry said:
So my question remains: Why the secrecy? If they really are invading from the South, wouldn't we want to know more about it? Wouldn't we want to have some type of management plan? I'm amazed at how you hunters just want to blast anything that might eat one of your deer or elk. Spanish Fork is a ways from Arizona. I would imagine if those two made it here, the others will soon be following. Maybe if those two looked a year old, they are just pups from an ever exploding population already hiding in the mountains.
You might be on the wrong forum, HighNDry. :roll:

The Mexican wolves are only coming here for a better life. They are doing us a favor by doing those wolf jobs that no American wolf wants or is willing to do. 8)
LMFAO :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: -*|*-

1 - 20 of 99 Posts