Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend who has a 20 gauge shotgun, and I took him out on Saturday hunting ducks and he couldn't hit anything. What loads should he shoot, what would be the maximum distance he should shoot, and how far should he lead the ducks? Thanks.

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
when my wife was shooting her 20 gauge. i bought her 3inch number 2s and they worked for her pretty good. the lead depends on how farr he is shooting. i didnt let her shoot pass 40 yards. 90% of her shot was withen 30 yards and less.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
A 20 will kill further than most people can shoot. hit the clays range and see what happens

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I'm a 20 gage duck hunter. I like number 3s. Actually, I think the 2 3/4 inch are better, but hard to find. The 3's are good enough for anything in a fair range. Also, for a better-than-a-beginner, but lots of room for improvement type shooter, the expensive stuff (like hevi shot) helps around the margins. If your buddy isn't quite "on" and he's wounding birds, have him shoot a box of pure good stuff to help him get his confidence up and then have him shoot one shell of expensive followed by one or two steel number 2's as backup. Sometimes just a little confidence helps sort things out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts