Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Seems like a wasted opportunity to raise money for habitat.

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts
I don't understand how the park bison can be over objective. The wolves have been there for 20 years now. Weren't they supposed to keep the whole circle of life in perfect balance and harmony in the park?

Reactions: phorisc and CPAjeff

·
Super Moderator
9,621 Posts
I don't understand how the park bison can be over objective. The wolves have been there for 20 years now. Weren't they supposed to keep the whole circle of life in perfect balance and harmony in the park?
The wolves have found that it is easier to take down a elk or moose than it is a large animal like a bison.

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts
They ought to set some grass fires and run a herd or four off some cliffs. That would be better.

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts
Well, people have ALWAYS been the only predator that could deal with bison. And I'd be all for a few tribes to get together and run a herd off a cliff with fires and from horseback, do it old school. And then they could have at getting what they could from it. Back before the europeans screwed things up, running a few hundred bison off a cliff was regular practice. So, why the heck not? Seriously though. I think that YNP should take a very serious look at something like that. If nothing else, then the capture and slaughter method might not look so bad after all.

·
Administrator
21,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
makes perfect sense:

Quote:
About half of Yellowstone's bison have been exposed to brucellosis, an animal disease that causes abortion in cattle, AP reports. There are no recorded cases of it moving from bison to cattle.

"There is recognition by both disease regulators and wildlife managers that the risk of brucellosis transmission from bison to cattle is minute," the National Park Service told Vice magazine last year.

In 1995, Montana sued the National Park Service over bison migration into the state. The settlement created a plan requiring hundreds of bison to be captured and killed each year.

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts
Really, I see only 3 solutions to the problem:
-Run a bunch off a cliff like the natives used to do.
-Hire Goob to go cowboy and head out there with his hand cannon. or
-Round them up and haul them off to kill them.

The first two options are the best to me.

Any recipes for bison-biltong?

·
Administrator
21,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Run em off da cliff & make biltong

Really, I see only 3 solutions to the problem:
-Run a bunch off a cliff like the natives used to do.
-Hire Goob to go cowboy and head out there with his hand cannon. or
-Round them up and haul them off to kill them.

The first two options are the best to me.

Any recipes for bison-biltong?
Run em off a cliff:
http://utahwildlife.net/forum/41-hunting-outside-utah/40892-vore-buffalo-jump.html

Bison biltong:
http://utahwildlife.net/forum/26-recipes/120641-biltong.html

Reactions: GaryFish

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts
You do know that biltong question was rhetorical.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts