Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went down for a scouting trip a couple of weeks ago. Explored the area for the first time. What an amazing place! Any tips on the late season cow bison hunt would be appreciated. Where to camp, which side to come in on, Packout methods (should have 5-10 guys helping out, no horses but we'll have atvs and snowmobiles. Here are a few pictures of how the trip went.

First view of the mountain range

Closer view

Overheating after climbing 3,000 ft of elevation pulling a trailer. Emptied the trailer, had 4 wheelers, and did much better after.

Overlooking the desert

Spotting deer from the tent first thing in the morning

Will load more pictures later

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Some great bucks. Early morning they were everywhere. About every 100 yards we would see some sort of deer. It was amazing. No deer deer activity at all during the day. That's expected with 90 degree weather though.

·
Administrator
10,910 Posts
If you have the late cow tag you might want to concentrate on the lower country. Cave Flat, and Tarantula Mesa. That time of year you can expect any kind of weather that there is, from hot days to 3' of snow and it can happen from one day to the next.

There are a couple of members here that had that tag in the last couple of years and they should chime in.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
You are going to have a blast! Looks like you camped right where we cut my cougar's track in 2012! I ended up taking my cow bison on the way to Tarantula Mesa, just before the turn to something-or-other cave? Definitely stick to the Notum Road side of the mountain, and like other's have said be ready for anything weather wise. Also, don't drive too fast through anything. There are lots of little depressions and folds that the bison can disappear into. We almost drove right past the herd I shot my cow in--and another group of hunters on sleds did drive right past them just in front of us. Good luck!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
After searching high and low. We didn't spot any bison. We believe we found tracks and scat because they were close to the fur caught on that tree. With their tracks being so similar to cattle it was hard to tell for sure of anything though. The highest we went was about 9,500 ft just below south summit ridge. We spent an afternoon with 4 of us glassing every direction from up there. We camped about 7,500 ft and did a lot of glassing every day around there too. We spent most of the time on the east side, and only a couple of hours on the west during the day. I would assume they were only out in the open very early and very late but the place is so big it was hard to glass a lot of areas with only 2 days down there.

·
Administrator
10,910 Posts
I have always said that every deer hunter in Utah should at least drive through the Henry Mountains once in their life, it is a real eye opener. It was even fun back when I used to hunt it every year before they made it a LE hunt.

The bison at this time of year can be anywhere on that mountain. I have seen them just off of the top of Mt Ellen down to Capital Reef. Come August when breeding season is going on you will find a lot of them on Apple Bush Flats on the west side.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Good advice from Critter, I had that tag a few years ago and tagged mine the first day in the high country. The next hunt 1 week later was very unsuccessful overall because the weather was so terrible they couldn't see anything.

Do A LOT of spotting. This time of year any place with the word "springs" in the name is a good place to start. They get pushed around a lot and they won't be in the same place for the hunt. The low country can be very huge and hard to spot.

My suggestion would just be to spot spot and then do some more spotting. Then, aim low!

Good luck. If you get close to the hunt and still aren't having any luck shoot me a PM and I'll see if I can be of more specific help.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.