Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Wow... Some people burned A LOT of points to hunt the new late season LE Muzzy tags. That would suck to burn 9 points on a tag that had 100% draw odds like the north slope LE hunt did.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I was amazed to see two guys, one with 20 and another with 19 pts, jumped to bookcliffs roadless. I knew some would, but i thought those with 18 might. I'm sure glad I drew the tag.

·
1,666 Posts
Dang, I'm was pretty unlucky in my selection for LE Elk.

Next year.

Look at the numbers of NR apps. Wow. They really get the shaft.

It's a good thing Utah doesn't combine them with a 10% cap for residents.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Wow, where did all the people come from that jumped into the oak creek. Don't you guys know there is no deer out there.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Plus almost 10,000 more applicants than last year for general season deer.
With the improving ' quaility ' in deer,
There are alot more hunters interested in hunting general deer hunting...
Myself included.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
With the improving ' quaility ' in deer,
There are alot more hunters interested in hunting general deer hunting...
Myself included.
while that may be true, how many people have moved to this state in the last few years? I know I have 3 houses around me with folks from California that hunt. 10,000 is a lot and i'm sure some have lived here a long time and noticed all the publicity of growing deer #'s. i still think that a part of that number may be our increasing transplant population. i know i was one.

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
A decent jump in pools from high point holders to the elk unit I had my eye on for next year. I cautiously hoped that would not happen, but it did. Bummer.

But 55 people ahead of me that did not draw in 2014 left the San Juan elk pool for 2015. That just made my wait time go from 26 years to 20 years! :)

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
A decent jump in pools from high point holders to the elk unit I had my eye on for next year. I cautiously hoped that would not happen, but it did. Bummer.

But 55 people ahead of me that did not draw in 2014 left the San Juan elk pool for 2015. That just made my wait time go from 26 years to 20 years! :)
You just won the lottery! !

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Vanilla- That is a positive outlook. haha Gotta use reverse psychology when looking at odds-- good one year, bad the next, and then back to good the following. Well-- it is Utah so odds are rarely "good".

The General Season odds are still tough to read and mostly useless. As for the increase in applicants, I'm sure some is due to the increasing deer herd-- but a lot of it is due to the fact people can't draw tags so they put others in to draw just so they can go. The craziest fact about the General Season Deer hunt is 20-30% of the tag holders never even go deer hunting.

The rest of the odds were very interesting. Lots of high point holders burning points on the new hunts. I'd like to see the data of how many turn their tags back.....

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
Vanilla- That is a positive outlook. haha Gotta use reverse psychology when looking at odds-- good one year, bad the next, and then back to good the following. Well-- it is Utah so odds are rarely "good".
You'd think at 18 points going into next year I'd be in really good shape. I guess I shouldn't complain, since I could draw all but just a handful of hunts available. It just so happens that the hunts I want are in those handful.

One day...

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Any idea when the antlerless results will be released?

With the big game results, I have updated the spreadsheet that I have kept and posted for download on my blog. If you've found it interesting or at all useful you can link over to my blog down in my signature line and download it for your own personal use.

·
Banned
55 Posts
Any idea when the antlerless results will be released?

With the big game results, I have updated the spreadsheet that I have kept and posted for download on my blog. If you've found it interesting or at all useful you can link over to my blog down in my signature line and download it for your own personal use.
They are posted...

·
Super Moderator
9,807 Posts
I think somebody made a giant mistake on one of the Henry's cow bison hunts. Used 20 points on hunt 6506?!
Perhaps he got tired of waiting for a hunters choice and wanted a guaranteed tag?

I am about in the same boat, getting too old to wait another 5 years to draw the sure tag for a hunters choice and a cow tag would be the only other choice without waiting.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
That makes sense then. I just saw the 20pts to 13 pts with no applicants in between and went, huh?!? A few years ago the cow hunts were a shoe-in with 10 points, but the creep is catching up to them too. The early cow hunt has people in the 15-17pt range using the bp tags too. Glad I already got mine!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts