Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank you for all of the help and input over the past 3 weeks. I was able to take a Bull this past Friday on the East Canyon Unit. Special thanks to Billy Murphy, MW Scott and Jordan Moore. You guys put me in the right area. Also a huge thank you to my new best friends: Scott Geertsen, T.J. Cunningham and Dennis Velasquez who helped me haul that Bull off the mountain. I couldn't have done it without you.

Thank you
Darren

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ended up hunting much harder than I anticipated. My wife and I and a few friends spent 3 or 4 days out of every week walking Big Mountain from top to bottom. We hunted exclusively on the east side of highway 65.
We probably seen at least 25 to 30 bulls over the past 3 weeks. I did see 2 bulls that were larger than the one I ended up taking but really couldn't get in on them and that was probably a good thing. because of where they were at.
I ended up taking Friday off work and we drove up once again from the Morgan side and planned to hunt on the west side of 65. I had a few guys on here tell me about a few large bulls over in the Lookout Peak area. As we got the parking spot my wife suggested we drive down the road a little further and see if we could see anything down by the golf course. I don't think she wanted to do the death march to lookout point. At mile marker 3 she spotted a cow and a calf and then the Bull 300 yards off the road really close to the Old Mormon Trail. We both decided that this would be the one. t was a nice bull and I knew I wasn't going to have much time this week to get out. I serve as the Vice Chairman of the Shoshone Nation and I have a lot going on this week. It was an easy out. As easy as it could be considering how big they are. I made a phone call to a guy I met up there hunting and he brought 2 other friends of his and we had it to the truck in 3 hours. *I like those endings.
I have one more good hunt in November. I have a limited entry Bull Elk hunt in the Cache South unit and I am really excited about that.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Congrats Darren! Glad you were able to find a good bull. This year has been quite different from years past. In 6 trips to the same general area, I have only seen 1 cow moose where I would see multiple moose each outing in years past. Enjoy the table fare and thanks for sharing your success.

·
Administrator
21,400 Posts
Great moose!

Thanks for sharing your cool hunt.

Reactions: Shoshone1
1 - 11 of 11 Posts