Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are already a couple threads on this year's pheasant season and pheasant releases, but I wanted to make the pheasant release map easy to find before the Nov 7 opener.

Pheasant Release Map link

The division will be releasing ~13,000 pheasants on Wildlife Management Areas, Waterfowl Management Areas, and Walk in Access Properties throughout the state.

Birds will be released throughout the state based on hunting pressure, and releases will be spread though the regular (Nov 7-22) and extend season (Nov 23-Dec 6).

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
I have a silly question. If for example you go to Farmington Bay to shoot some of the released pheasants, do you have to use non toxic shot or can you use lead shot...

·
Registered
582 Posts
Looks like 75% is on private land!!!
Probably United Sportsman land, since they now seem to control the DWR
The state politicians are crying that the feds own 2/3 of the state, but DWR can't find public land for pheasants.

·
Premium Member
3,984 Posts
Looks like 75% is on private land!!!
Probably United Sportsman land, since they now seem to control the DWR
The state politicians are crying that the feds own 2/3 of the state, but DWR can't find public land for pheasants.
Almost all of the birds released are on public land in the form of WMA's and such. The rest of them are released on private land which is enrolled in the Walk In Access program, so they are available to hunt by the public.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Release schedule?

How far ahead of opening day do they usually release and how often through the season. I am wondering if I should take a week day off work to avoid crowds (dog in training) but if they all get shot up on the opener I need to guess how long to leave it before going out.

A

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LostLouisianian - when hunting wetlands non-toxic shot is needed. See page 31-32 of the upland guidebook for specifics on WMA rules regarding nontoxic shot. A online copy of the guidebook is available here: http://wildlife.utah.gov/hunting-in-utah/hunting-information/upland-game.html

Ali-MAc - The birds are released a day or two before opening day and then throughout the season on a ongoing basis.

horkingmidget - Birds should be released at all the sites on the pheasant release map. They are released in proportion to hunting pressure, so the larger, more crowded areas (eg Wasatch Front properties) will have more birds released than areas away from population centers.

And as 7mm said, orange is a good idea when hunting the pheasant properties.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Does anyone know if we will be able to park along the south dike at Willard Bay? I know they recently opened the road for the duck hunt, but will they allow parking along the south dike (or the dog training area) for pheasant hunting?

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
I jumped 4 roosters this morning in probably less than 2 acres on foot checking out a new duck hunting spot...I hope they're still there Saturday morning. :)

·
1,682 Posts
I jumped 4 roosters this morning in probably less than 2 acres on foot checking out a new duck hunting spot...I hope they're still there Saturday morning. :)
Were you out at Salt Creek?

I saw a truck with an LSU sticker on the back window.

I hunted salty. Saw 7 (5 roosters 2 hens) Took shots at 4 and only bagged one.

Good dog work, bad marksmanship.

Lots of people is the understatement of the year.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts