Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and my dad ended up having a great year of hunting. We didn't shoot the biggest animals on the mountain, but for us it is about spending time together and filling the freezers. We each were able to get an elk and a deer. He shot his elk spike opening morning. I ended up shooting a cow with my control tag last Friday after work. I wasn't going to shoot her, but too hard to pass up when I had only been gone from the vehicle for 10 minutes.

The deer hunt didn't last very long for either of us. We both had a deer down by 7:30 opening morning and back to the truck by 1:00. I could have ended the hunt 5 minutes into shooting light on a two point that was 50 yards from the truck but decided I didn't want it to end my hunt that fast. This little 3 point was laying about 100 yards from some other hunters that had no idea it was there. I jumped it up and shoot him and fortunately for me he didn't run towards the other hunters or I wouldn't have had a shot. He ran perfect and I hammered him at around 75 yards and he ran about 100 yards down hill after the shot.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Me and my dad ended up having a great year of hunting. We didn't shoot the biggest animals on the mountain, but for us it is about spending time together and filling the freezers. We each were able to get an elk and a deer. He shot his elk spike opening morning. I ended up shooting a cow with my control tag last Friday after work. I wasn't going to shoot her, but too hard to pass up when I had only been gone from the vehicle for 10 minutes.

Just curious , Gotta ask,
What hunt was open Friday allowing the use of a control permit ?

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts
Great hunt! Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
It was Friday the 9th that I shot the cow. It was during the spike hunt.
I thought that might be the case.

You did well this year!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts