Utah Wildlife Forum banner

What slam would you like to see for 2015?

• Wigeon Slam

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Shoveler Slam

Votes: 16 55.2%
  • Gadwall Slam

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Ruddy Slam

Votes: 1 3.4%
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
they already have a coot slam.
Awesome. I should bring my jet burner and 60 quart crawfish pot to FB on opening weekend and make a world record coot gumbo for all the cooters out there. Coot gumbo anyone? :shock:

·
1,682 Posts
Awesome. I should bring my jet burner and 60 quart crawfish pot to FB on opening weekend and make a world record coot gumbo for all the cooters out there. Coot gumbo anyone? :shock:
I tried a bit a coot last year. I think you would be hard pressed to distinguish it from Wigeon.

Most of what they eat is plant matter and plant matter makes them pretty tasty.

That being said I'm not going to go out of my way to kill them, but if they swim or fly into the decoys they will be put down.

Ruddies are also plant eaters and taste good.

Ducks that eat insects (Spoonies) or animals (Lawn Darts, Goldeneyes, some scaup -especially at urban ponds) will take more effort (Brines & Marinades) to make them taste decent.

I think I'm the only one that voted for the ruddy slam.

I would love to get a full plumage drake.

·
Registered
6,499 Posts
Ruddy ducks are my least favorite duck, followed closely by Shovelers and Goldeneyes. Looks like only 2 of us voted for a Wigeon slam, I'm betting Utahgolf had the other vote for Wigeons.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Plans are in the works right now for the J-dike. We are in the engineering phase and it should be starting this summer if all goes well. We're also looking to identify another project on our WMAs, similar to the J-dike, to reduce phragmites and open up additional acreage to waterfowl hunters. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Plans are in the works right now for the J-dike. We are in the engineering phase and it should be starting this summer if all goes well. We're also looking to identify another project on our WMAs, similar to the J-dike, to reduce phragmites and open up additional acreage to waterfowl hunters. Anyone have any ideas?
I certainly have ideas. Unfortunately, I'm not a professional water/environmental engineer (yet), so I'm not sure if they're any good. I only know what I can see.

I see a lot of land west of Howard slough that looks like it has some potential. Right now, it seems overgrown and not too productive. I could envision a new unit on the Northwest end, adjacent to the Northernmost major pond. Extending a dike west and building a unit there would provide some more options for hunters and birds, and better access to the great salt lake for those who like to hike out there in the winter. It would probably need to be an entirely enclosed unit rather than a J-dike type of scenario, or it would flood quickly if the lake ever comes back up.

As for the slams, I think the shoveler slam is a good idea for Utah. The ruddy slam would be about impossible for someone with my shooting skills. :sad:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts