Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Saturday was a little discouraging because the bulls went silent for the opener. Thursday they were making some noise and then Friday night silence. The bull we were watching all week snuck out of the area and we never saw him again.
We moved a couple of miles for Sunday morning and luckily we happened on 3 different bulls within the same drainage. The biggest of the three was a 7x7 and huge but we decided he was in a spot that we were not up to hauling him out of without horses.

We were also up against a deadline with the forecast weather that was coming so we concentrated on the other 2 bulls. This one headed our way in a hurry after a cow call. When we first saw him he was about 700 yards out and on the opposite canyon side high up. He left his cows and headed down hill and covered about 400 yards in just a couple minutes. He got to the bottom and I took the shot from about 200 feet above him. The first shot really stopped him in his tracks but he didn't go down so a follow up shot did it. He fell 15 feet from where he was first hit.

It was a pretty tough pack out and I thank my son and my friends that were with me for their help and a great hunt. It was over too soon and I can't wait to get out and do it again.

Attachments

·
Registered
854 Posts
Awesome bull! You may be a smarter man than me, I shoot now and think about the packout later! I shot a spike deer last year that in a place I should not have shot a spike deer haha.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I typically think about how hard it will be to pack one out of a hole, then shoot anyway. The pain only lasts so long, but does feel real at the moment. The memories afterward are really nice though, and somehow, the pain is forgotten after a week, and i'm planning for the next time.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I usually don't think about the pack-out at all, until I'm packing it out.
See the target...judge....shoot.......sometimes regret shooting it at that particular spot but pack it out nonetheless. ENJOY THE BOUNTY AFTERWARDS! and forget about the pain of packing it out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts