Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 222 Posts

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
This is sad. Holy hell I'm hoping for some wet weather this winter and the following spring/summer. Not only was last summer and spring ridiculously dry but the previous winter also had very little snow. The land was so scorched and parched during my archery hunt last year. I can't imagine what 2 years in a row of this crap will be like if we don't get some wet weather!

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And despite the recent snow the percentages have actual gotten worse. SW Utah could be in a for a world of hurt if this doesn't turn around.

And I have to say it every year....the rolling average gets dumbed down every year by these drought figures. That 20% we are currently at in SW Utah is even more depressing with that in mind. Forecasts calling for temps warmer then 45F on the hill the next 2 days 😳

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I'm pretty sure I can still get a 4 wheeler into my place on Cedar mountain, if not the truck.
That is NOT a good thing. I would like to drop my gate though.
I'll maybe give it a shot on Wednesday, worth a try. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
And I have to say it every year....the rolling average gets dumbed down every year by these drought figures. That 20% we are currently at in SW Utah is even more depressing with that in mind.
It wasn't that long ago that we launched my brother's boat from the concrete ramp at Hite, and spent a day trolling just upstream from the confluence of the Dirty Devil and the Colorado River. We did this without a sonar, and very little fear of beaching ourselves. The fishing was great.

Today, the concrete ramp is high and dry. You have to go another 5 miles downstream on the Colorado before you even hit the lake. It's a 40 mile boat road from Bullfrog just to get there.

Our water situation is scary. If we don't start getting storms, which it doesn't look like we will this winter, it's going to be a rough summer. Low water levels and high summer temps will spell problems. All those toxic algae blooms will be even worse.

It might be time for all of us to start praying for snow. Heck, we may even need to start fasting. That includes those of you who are not believers. I mean, what's to lose? Just water...

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That turn around on Lake Powell was fast this time. I launched a sea kayak on the Colorado from the Dirty Devil takeout years ago and had many miles of current and then flotsam before the lake. But it took ages to slowly drop to that level. The suddenness of this change is frightening.

I'm truly concerned for snow and water here. There are a few reasons for us to leave the area and water is in the top 3. I'm not worried for the next decade but I'm not sure about retirement here.

I can no longer do naked snow dances for Ullr according to my probation. Evidently it's not okay to do that in your front yard with a bonfire while playing Soundgarden backwards. I'm so confused at it's just a song about santa.

Y'all are on your own.

·
Registered
833 Posts
You will see plenty of ski boats for sale but who wants one of those?
True fishing boats are going to be few and far between and will carry a high premium in ‘21.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
I've said it before and I'll say it again....Population growth in Utah....the second driest state in the lower 48, will eat itself from the inside out. Water aquifers will go from a 250' draw to 600'. Guess it doesn't matter anyway, the second wave of the "Britt COVID" will thin the heard so to speak.

·
Registered
4,788 Posts
Quite concerned at this point looking at snowpack, the forecast, and the water year so far. Lakes, marshes, ponds I’ve never seen dry up were completely gone this past summer. On Monroe mountain, the 3 lakes I frequent most were empty, Annabella reservoir was dried completely up, one side of Big Lake was completely dry. There’s no way with the amount of snow we’ve received they even get to a point any water can be drained from them, no way they are to a point they’ll have enough water to even plant fish in at this rate. Too dry for too long, haven’t ever seen things in quite this bad of shape before. Hopefully a few big storms slam us in the next 6 weeks, or we are not in a good way, and let’s pray for a very wet spring and summer.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
In past dry years (summers) I've noticed Municipalities placing a moratorium on watering yards. Where I reside, I have never seen the City put this in place. I sure hope they do this year!

I'm thinking of spending the money on a Zero Scape landscape and use native plants that do well in a dry hot climate. I'll leave the lawn in the back yard, but in the front yard.....I'm saying goodbye to the grass and planting rock, sage, cactus, and oak.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I could see meadow grass on drive back from Panguitch yesterday. Heck, it's obvious winter recreation is taking an unusual toll mid-January as at least one Meadow was mudded up from snowmobiles. It's a dishearteningening sight as we normally have at least a couple feet piled up on average years.

The ridge sitting over us right now isn't promising. And the 3 month NOAA precip forecast/outlook appears pretty grim. And some of those are times we historically get big, wet snowstorms.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,788 Posts
I could meadow grass on drive back from Panguitch yesterday. Heck, it's obvious winter recreation is taking an unusual toll mid-January as at least one Meadow was mudded up from snowmobiles. It's a dishearteningening sight as we normally have at least a couple feet piled up on average years.

The ridge sitting over us right now isn't promising. And the 3 month NOAA precip forecast/outlook appears pretty grim. And some of those are times we historically get big, wet snowstorms.
It's been bad on top of bad on top of bad. Right now it has potential to be pretty devastating to wildlife and fish. I know there's not even close to enough water to fill the little lakes I frequently fish right now full enough to even put the fish in them. We've had bad winters plenty of times but the cycle we're in right now has piled it on top of a bad winter and a brutally dry summer. Please send a few giant storms by the end of February or we're screwed in several places.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Our water usage will need to better monitored. We live in the desert. All summer long I see businesses watering in the middle of the day. Usually with busted sprinkler heads filling the gutter. However, even when restrictions have been in place, the most lush patches of pointless sod in the Salt Lake Valley are CHURCHES. Lawns that are not enjoyed or used 6 out of 7 days a week yet they are being watered to saturation point daily to keep up appearances.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
It’s interesting to read these comments here from some guys who posted a few months back in other threads predicting we would have a terrible winter this year, which would be the final nail in the coffin for our deer and elk herds, but now are complaining about the lack of snow and how awful this is, and praying for big storms to come soon.

Some people are never happy.

The lack of snow is definitely a concern. But given the shape on how the deer and elk entered into the winter months of 20-21, I’d rather be on this side of things instead of storms piling on top of each other with no end in sight, like what we had in 16-17.

Maybe now it’s time for the public sportsmen to push hard to drastically cut grazing allotments this year on public land and save what little feed is available next summer, for the state’s wildlife instead of going to private mouths, profits and benefits.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Maybe now it's time for the public sportsmen to push hard to drastically cut grazing allotments this year on public land and save what little feed is available next summer, for the state's wildlife instead of going to private mouths, profits and benefits.
Not going to happen but keep beating that drum. The sportsmen of Utah can't even come close to organizing opposition to the the farm bureau and cattleman's Association.

I don't think attacking peoples livelihoods versus a recreational pursuit will hold much sway.

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
Moose, the animals aren’t in great shape right now, so neither option between severe devastating drought and huge devastating winter seem all that appealing to me.

But the one thing I know, is fish and animals need water.

Oh, and people need water too.

1 - 20 of 222 Posts