Utah Wildlife Forum banner
201 - 220 of 222 Posts

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #201 · (Edited)
Those were some foreboding clouds for a while. I'm trying to see the bright side that maybe we'll get some monsoon build up this year. I'd just love the afternoon respite the clouds provide even if we don't get rain.

But, that just may be too optimistic.

Anybody know of annual precipitation site like the snotel winter percentages? I'm a big enough dork that I'd be curious to follow year round percentages.

·
Registered
6,827 Posts
Just an FYI......
I was up to my cabin on Cedar Mountain this afternoon. Just got home.
We got about 2 dozen drops about 2:00. And about 1 dozen drops about 3. That was it !!!
Was dark all around and looked like it was hitting over towards highway 89.
Total Bummer 👎
Prayers are already working! All you heathens need to pick it up!!!! ;)

·
Registered
6,827 Posts
You can say what you want, but tonight we prayed as a family for rain. My 8 year old said the prayer.

Less than 5 minutes later after tucking her in and turning out the lights, rain drops were falling on our windows and she’s yelling from her room, “Daddy, it worked! It’s raining!!!”

Again, say what you want. Believe what you want. I believe we could use some divine intervention. And we’re all in on that over here.

#prayforrain

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #204 ·
I for the life of me couldn't figure out how I went astray in my response to the video. So I watched it again and reviewed my original post. And there it was, Cox's own words (emphasis mine):

I’ve already asked all Utahns to conserve water by avoiding long showers, fixing leaky faucets, and planting water-wise landscapes. But I fear those efforts alone won’t be enough to protect us

In the governor's own words he admits publicly it's not enough. So I reread my post and it stands correct. Cox's sole remedy to the current situation being inadequate is communal prayer. And here's my sentence in question:

But solely focusing on divine intervention without challenging us at the same time to rise to the occasion is at best a missed opportunity for real leadership.
As well, I said

This [communal prayer] isn't incompatible with water conservation but it doesn't appear to me the governor (on down) are concurrently redoubling their efforts to sincerely deal with this crisis.
Not only was my assessment accurate but there's undeniable proof that Cox also agrees that the "efforts" he's encouraged in previous outreach "won't be enough".

I expect my political leaders to step up and do enough. And they can do that alongside calling for communal prayer.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #205 · (Edited)
Vanilla,

I'm glad you find value in that and could create that meaningful experience with your family. As I've said to you before, I have no doubt those moments are profound for you and I sincerely hope y'all continue to have them together. I genuinely believe that's beautiful and value those in my community who do the same.

PS....I was editing my previous post while you were posting. The timing was not intentional.

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
I'm all for people embracing their religious beliefs in whatever way provides them value. But is this really the answer from the state (and my local commissioner)? Is the state really not going to embrace a meaningful role and accept that they can do more to encourage more water conservation during this historic drought? Wether you believe in it or not prayer inherently relies on the choices outside ourselves at a time in which we desperately need citizens and government to be proactive. This isn't incompatible with water conservation but it doesn't appear to me the governor (on down) are concurrently redoubling their efforts to sincerely deal with this crisis.

Just shaking my head. There are viable options for state and local leaders that abide by whatever political viewpoint they may hold. But solely focusing on divine intervention without challenging us at the same time to rise to the occasion is at best a missed opportunity for real leadership.

Well, I’m sure the record breaking temps and dry forecast will change because of this weekend of prayer backcountry. Water conservation incentives, changing state water policy in meaningful ways, investing heavily in better water conservation, and you know maybe acknowledging climate change and predictions of a warming climate are getting worse, and only going to get worse might be a more pragmatic approach. But hey. I guess we can build a pipeline that works until Lake Powell is gone, and build more reservoirs that dry out the already disappearing Great Salt Lake. The problem with water conservation in the state is there’s no actual approach to actually conserving water. The state just looks for ways it can find and use more water. With a warming climate, continual record breaking temps, and droughts well....eventually reality will have to be faced. It might be time to start coming to grips with it ASAP. We are in trouble, and it’s worse than I’ve ever seen it. It’s June 4th.

You know what rarely if ever comes in June? Rain. I hope the forecast changes, but it’s time to start thinking about full firework bans, and things to avoid some potentially really bad fire issues soon.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #207 ·
Agree in fireworks ban but I'm not hopeful.

Here is an interesting and developing situation caused by severe drought.

It's an interesting case study of what can happen once we start to deal with the true medium to long term impacts down the road. I hope agencies and stakeholders in Utah are doing their best to facilitate buy in and understanding so we don't see more of these conflicts down the road. I know Ammon's sphere of influence includes communities in Utah and I'd assume never see a standoff happen here.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
You would have to think that this scenario could play out on any system that is connected to the Bureau of Reclamation. And it shows how difficult change will be. I found this quote interesting.

"Grant Knoll said the crux of the matter is a disagreement between how state water law and federal regulations are interpreted, and he and Nielsen don’t feel like they’re getting a speedy solution.
“We think that the state right is supreme in deciding how the water gets distributed,’” Knoll said.
And legal efforts to get that belief validated in court have come up short.
“Your merits of what you’re trying to argue never get heard,” Knoll said. “So the frustration is building because we want to use the legal system and if the legal system’s failing you, what’s next?”
It appears that what’s next is another standoff with the federal government over water in the Klamath Basin."

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #209 ·
I tend to agree, Middlefork. The potential is lurking in every water system that over allocated, which is a large percentage in the West.

Glad not to be in that particular area right now.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #210 ·
USFS includes natural causes in PR release. Like folks on FB said, looks like lightening strike ignition.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #211 ·
Cedar is finally taking a step, though it's only voluntary and should have been started in March. This drought has been known for so long that these types of responses are likely too little too late.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,784 Posts
Cedar is finally taking a step, though it's only voluntary and should have been started in March. This drought has been known for so long that these types of responses are likely too little too late.
I still don't fully understand the need for existing homes to conserve while building new homes is going crazy, if they have enough water for all the new homes going in and around cedar they have enough for the existing homes.

I should reword that to say if they don't have enough for existing homes they don't have enough for new homes.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #213 ·
I don't disagree but Cedar will never have policy to restrict growth. It's not in the local DNA. They'll let the town grow until our aquifer runs dry.

Only option is reduce average use if they don't manage growth.

Id love to see new development be required to be water wise and restrictions on turf but I'm not holding my breathe.

Cedar seems to just embrace driving off the drought cliff. So many creative solutions, so little interest.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
what we need in Cedar is to stop voting in real estate agents to our city and county governments. We need representation that says "let's regress" vs. "let's progress". Only then will we curb growth.

FWIW -- this rainstorm is awesome!! I knew if we prayed long enough that they would be answered. Hopefully it doesn't just all come at once!! But, I've got my boat ready if we need it.

(maybe it was goat sacrifice??)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Ninemile>>>>>drained, empty, nada.

Yuba>>>>>salvage limits now in effect

What is the name of that song by Queen?

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Another one bites the dust...

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
Weird. Over the 4th we camped in the high country at a lake in north east utah, it was as full as its ever been. A couple years ago, that lake was actually pretty low. I was expecting it to be much lower due to the low snow amounts. /shrug

We used to fish 9 Mile long ago, some bruisers in there back in the day (early 80s).

Gunnison will affect the waterfowl hunters the most. That was a goose hotspot.

-DallanC

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Bohemian Rhapsody?

Bish mi lah. No, where did the water go.

Nine mile sometimes drains even in decent water years. Not a surprise it bit the dust. (not that this minimizes the severity of the situation.)

201 - 220 of 222 Posts