Utah Wildlife Forum banner

121 - 140 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
The last three weeks, and the last 72 hours in particular, have been incredibly helpful.

See where we were at in January 22 to where we are this morning. Still drought conditions, but we are better off than we were a few weeks ago. That’s for sure! I’ll be interested to see where we are come Thursday morning.

Attachments

·
Registered
620 Posts
It might not appear this way in the valley currently, but this last storm BURIED the mountains in central utah. Places I could easily get into with my truck last weekend, even in the upper foothills was not even close to accessible yesterday morning. I was pushing snow with the bumper in places it was bone dry 3 days prior.

Ps side note: for those who were wondering, every buck I saw yesterday, including a mid 180s and a couple upper 170s, had both sides, so don’t get too fired up just yet. Deer look like they are in good condition right now. If they can keep it up for another 2 months we should be in good shape! Don’t chase them just yet.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
We got a slow and steady rain in Cedar than snow. Warming back up but was seriously needed. Haven't looked at detail information of mountain yet but looks like a bump from KSL charts

Friends just had to "evacuate" house in Austin because of 6" of snow and wide scale power outage. Poor things have a newborn in a historic brick house. Not much down there is designed to weather big snowstorms.

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
looks like things are not so bad after all. Time to move onto a new subject to worry about. ;)

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Flooding?? That's all we need. :cry: If the spring time months are warm and dryer than normal, these last storms wont make a bit of difference.
True. Even with the storms forecasted in the next couple weeks, if that rounds out our year, we're still very screwed. I'm not sure we're out of the woods on water for animals, fish, and people yet.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
looks like things are not so bad after all. Time to move onto a new subject to worry about. ;)
If you want something different to think about, it could be in some specific areas we got too much snow too quickly, and that could impact animals.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
Pretty much all regions are doing better. Several drainage are actually doing great. But many are still behind especially when you consider last year's massive deficits.

We may be laughing in the spring that we were ever concerned. 1-2 more big storms could catch up the entire state, or even overwhelm a drainage or two. Only time will tell but I'd be extremely happy for the climate forecasts for the southern portion of the state to have been wrong.

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
It was a beautiful day yesterday here in Cedar City. Very "not typical" for this time of year.

I took the key out and turned on one of my valves, hooked the hose to the faucet and to the distribution line, and turned the water on so that my trees could all get a drink. I walked the line to verify all the heads had flowing water.

I only found 2 trees that are dead (white pine), and 1 other that is looking very bleak (emerald green arborvitae). :x

The cut at Castle Rock is high and dry.
The boat ramp at Bullfrog is high and dry.

Our water situation is really sucking, and all these "storms" just keep falling apart leaving the weather man looking like a buffoon.

The positive? Softball season started -- which means we should see crappy weather pick up by next week. Let's pray for rain. Fish like water.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Climatic models are forecasting above average, to well above average temps for Utah for the next 13 months. Precip and subsequent drought forecast is for below average values now until Nov/Dec.

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/90day/

GSL was at an elevation of 4192.7 yesterday. The historic low is 4191.4. Unless the weather pattern changes, we will see and likely pass the historic low in August or September this year.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
It was a great day in Cedar yesterday. Rob and I played golf without jackets. Well.....I tried to play...:(
And I got my other garden spot ready to put in the peas and a couple of other early plant items.

Today we are going to make a 4 wheeler run at his cabin. We should not even be thinking about that yet. We need some more storms for sure. ASAP

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Well.......we made it into Rob's cabin. And it wasn't even a test.
Only got stuck once, and that was while goofing off and easy to get out of.
We should not be able to even get close this time of year. Let alone waltz in.

EVERYBODY needs to do their naked rain dances weekly.
Or its going to get ugly. :shock:

·
Premium Member
3,703 Posts
Well.......we made it into Rob's cabin. And it wasn't even a test.
Only got stuck once, and that was while goofing off and easy to get out of.
We should not be able to even get close this time of year. Let alone waltz in.

EVERYBODY needs to do their naked rain dances weekly.
Or its going to get ugly. :shock:
Yes we need some more snow. Didn't get much yesterday.

Hey 2full, are you fully retired now?

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Yep, I am unemployed now.........last Friday was my last day.
So far, so good. It does seem weird to not be going after all the years.

·
Premium Member
3,703 Posts
Yep, I am unemployed now.........last Friday was my last day.
So far, so good. It does seem weird to not be going after all the years.
I want to be like you, hopefully in a year or two.

Reactions: 2full

·
Super Moderator
9,422 Posts
I highly recommend retirement. Been retired for 13 years now and have done more fun stuf in those years than I did in the previous 40.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #139 · (Edited)
For years I relied on NOAA 3-7 day forecasts for the region and they served me well. Now, I'll keep an eye on the 72 hour forecast and rarely does the precipitation pan out. Yet another storm fizzled this week. I don't think their historic data is serving these modern trends well for forecasting at all.

The long term trends are ugly. NOAA is still better than most for medium to long term trends and it continues to look bleak.

I will say....me dancing anywhere naked won't bring snow so much as laughter and tears. And that's just with an audience of one 😁

121 - 140 of 144 Posts