Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We might as well get this new water year kicked off right. Not a bad start.

I have an idea -- instead of waiting until July to start fasting and praying for rain, can we start the prayers right now? Let's just keep them going for the whole year. I hate waiting until summer monsoon month to pray for rain....

Map World Font Rectangle Slope

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
That was an epic October storm.

NOAA is forecasting a likelihood of a warmer and drier than average winter at this point. Let's hope they are wrong.

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NOAA is forecasting a likelihood of a warmer and drier than average winter at this point. Let's hope they are wrong.
Yep. That just makes this October storm that much more important.

Reactions: #1DEER 1-I

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
We are very lucky for the storms over the past few months. This one especially has undoubtably helped soil moisture which will be vital heading into winter and into next spring for runoff. Lakes, ponds, and springs were as bad as I’ve ever seen them to end this fall. Without a decent winter next summer could be a lot worse of a drought than this past one. Here’s to hoping a few big storms slam the mountain tops in the next few months. And here’s to hoping the weather services forecast changes.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Try running cattle. Its been epically bad for us. These fall storms have sure increased my level of hope for doing it another year. The deer sure love the green grass where its not covered by snow.

·
Administrator
8,028 Posts
Can’t remember where I heard / read this, but the information I remember is that these early storms are really important as wetting the ground prior to snowfall helps control how quickly the water is absorbed into the ground which helps direct water to our reservoirs.

Hopefully these storms helped with that

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not so sure this is accurate -- anyone know what's up with the snotel reports?

Ecoregion World Map Font Line

·
Registered
28 Posts
They take a while to update sometimes. They gather the data and it’s an extremely low frequency signal that bounces the data back to central collection points. I built one of the central collection points about 12 years ago. Clouds and storms slow down the data transfer rate. The main places have regular power and generator back up. The data collection sites are solar power. It will get caught up

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cowboy -- thanks.

It wasn't so long ago that you could view a 7 day snow-depth report with good results the day after a storm. So, have there been "upgrades" implemented that have caused the low frequency signals and slow data transfers?

-- yes, I'm being a smartass, but at the same time am curious. I know that my wireless home internet has been through an "upgrade", which in all reality was nothing more than radio frequency change that lowered the throughput from the "old" technology. The end result of the "upgrade" is poorer internet connection throughput.

·
Registered
28 Posts
cowboy -- thanks.

It wasn't so long ago that you could view a 7 day snow-depth report with good results the day after a storm. So, have there been "upgrades" implemented that have caused the low frequency signals and slow data transfers?

-- yes, I'm being a smartass, but at the same time am curious. I know that my wireless home internet has been through an "upgrade", which in all reality was nothing more than radio frequency change that lowered the throughput from the "old" technology. The end result of the "upgrade" is poorer internet connection throughput.
Like anything the government touches, they make it way more difficult than is needed. I was amazed at how complex the system was to gather that data. And I was just building the high voltage line to the new central collection center, I wasn’t doing any of the technical stuff. I agree on how things get improved and they aren’t

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Lots of places with up to 20" and some with over 2'.

Not so sure this is accurate -- anyone know what's up with the snotel reports?
The numbers given are accurate- in relation to Oct 19th in years past. The other areas not having reports is wrong.

·
Registered
Hunting, Fishing, Target Shooting, Hiking, Foraging, Shroom Hunting, Farming, Gardening, Building
75 Posts
I hope it’s a good snowpack this year. Last year I didn’t even put my snow tires on my Jeep. I’m hoping this year will be worth it. Fingers and toes crossed. 🤗

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
NOAA is saying the Wasatch and Uintas could receive upwards of 2" of water content from next week's snowstorms. They don't normally have such confidence that far out but it's sounding like that bomb cyclone will likely spawn an atmospheric river with pretty serious storms. That would help all of us immensely.

Either way, given how much food we all get from Cali, it will be great for the Sierra Nevada to get a much needed soaking.

Organism Font Electric blue Terrestrial plant Document

1 - 20 of 21 Posts