Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the email yesterday that I was UNSUCCESSFUL again at drawing a Bear tag. :mad: This makes 14 years in a row receiving the same email. Good Lord, what does it take to get a tag now days??

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Go down to your local Walmart and buy one OTC when they go on sale later this month?
I call those tags "Sucker Tags". Very low success rate unless you have a pack of K-9s and access to the woods before the closure date. It can be done, but those that have tagged out on this hunt without dogs, are lucky or, smarter than your average Bear hunter.

·
Super Moderator
9,422 Posts
You might want to look into putting in for a different unit.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You might want to look into putting in for a different unit.
I've thought about that too. I've been applying for the multi season tag on a unit that only gives out I think 6 permits. I'm in it this long, I just as well stick it out until I draw the permit I want. I could mess up the odds by applying for a fall tag on the same unit, and actually draw it. I'm not jumping ship now. To close to the shore.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I feel your pain, 14 is a good number but just wait till you are up there with me with 17 unsuccessful emails. I've waited longer to draw a dang bear tag than it took to draw 2 LE elk tags!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Took me 13 years for the tag, unfortunately it looks like I selected an area other than what I was planning for.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I feel your pain, 14 is a good number but just wait till you are up there with me with 17 unsuccessful emails. I've waited longer to draw a dang bear tag than it took to draw 2 LE elk tags!
I know its just weird! I drew a Bear Archery only tag back in 96 (I think) First time applying and drew. Back then, you could hunt the spring and fall seasons. Bait and dogs were allowed for pursuing. Of course you couldn't run dogs over your bait, but why would you anyway?

I passed on multiple Bears and never punched the tag. It was one of the most fun and hardest hunts I've been on!! In fact, that is what got me into hounds.

I also drew a LE Elk tag with less points that it's taking for Bear.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Manti North. I know the area well and have hunted it for deer and elk quite a bit but never for bear. It is the premium so I have the entire year to hunt.
You drew the Multi Season with 13???:shock::shock: If I were you, buy a Lotto ticket, head to Wendover, and whatever else you can think of because the luck of the Irish is with you.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Manti North. I know the area well and have hunted it for deer and elk quite a bit but never for bear. It is the premium so I have the entire year to hunt.
I know of two others that drew this tag this year, both had 17 points!! There are definitely more than a few bears there. A tip, stick to the deepest, darkest, nastiest canyons you can find!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I get a kick listening to all the points it takes to draw a bear tag these days.

Back in about '93 (or so) myself and a hunting buddy put in for the Cedar Mountain unit.
There was three tags available. Well, when the results came out (posted list, no Internet yet)
We were surprised that we both got tags.
Come to find out later.......we were the only two to put in. :mrgreen:

We killed a really nice cinnamon that he tagged. I didn't end up with one. (My own fault)
We screwed up and showed bragging pictures around town.

The next year 18 guys put in and we got 1 tag.
Killed a nice Chocolate.

By the 3rd year 50 guys were putting in.
Made it so we couldn't get a tag anymore.

Sometimes it's best to keep the success to yourself ??

·
Registered
13 Posts
Multi season tags are pretty hard to come by so not surprised you didn't draw but when you finally pull the tag what a year you'll have! I drew my summer tag last year took me 13 years to pull that tag and it was a blast definitely the hardest but most rewarding and fun hunt I've personally done I can't wait to get my waiting period out of the way and start applying again. In the mean time I also have my son's hunt to look forward to in the next few years as he is getting close (or atleast should be) to getting his summer tag.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did not draw one myself. Lucky I have one in the Pope and Young already. Age will catch up with me before I draw again.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Did not draw one myself. Lucky I have one in the Pope and Young already. Age will catch up with me before I draw again.
I hear you loud and clear! I'll never draw another LE Elk tag again in this state. I'll let the young guns go for it and I'll sit back and watch. So I'm leaving the point system and saving the application fee for fuel. Thanks Biden for jumping the fuel cost! :mad: I might be able to buy enough gas to push a piss ants scooter around a Cheerio.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I put in for my first point last year.
This year I was putting in for my second point and at last minute figured I might as well put in for the actual tag.
I have no idea what I am doing but fortunately I have a few great friends that know the area well.
I drew Range Creek fall.
If someone with experience doesn't mind teaching me, what food/scents should I begin acquiring now please?
I think I remember Goosefreak saying popcorn with raspberry koolaid powder or something like that?
Donuts?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I drew la sal summer black bear. I had 13 points. I have never been to la sal or bear hunted for that matter. Can't wait to get out and see what happens. If anyone knows the area and wants to help a hunter out haha let me know. Thanks in advance

1 - 20 of 25 Posts