Utah Wildlife Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,313 Posts
I drew la sal summer black bear. I had 13 points. I have never been to la sal or bear hunted for that matter. Can't wait to get out and see what happens. If anyone knows the area and wants to help a hunter out haha let me know. Thanks in advance
Honestly, I am not trying to be a jerk . . . but you used your 13 points on a unit you know nothing about?!?!

Here is the link to a previous thread about the summer La Sal bear hunt:
https://utahwildlife.net/forum/29-other-kinds-animals/192593-la-sal-summer-black-bear.html

Best of luck on your adventure!

·
Super Moderator
9,422 Posts
Honestly, I am not trying to be a jerk . . . but you used your 13 points on a unit you know nothing about?!?!

Here is the link to a previous thread about the summer La Sal bear hunt:
https://utahwildlife.net/forum/29-other-kinds-animals/192593-la-sal-summer-black-bear.html

Best of luck on your adventure!
Sad but this is nothing new. People put in just for points or put in and never draw a tag and then they luck out and get the tag.

It is no different than elk, deer, or any other animal that takes a while to draw.

And as you know they come on here with that same old question.

I drew a tag for XYZ animal in ABC unit and I have never set foot in it much less know how to get there, but I heard that it is a great unit.

Elkhunter28, have fun on your hunt but be ready for a lot of tourist down there. The last half dozen times that I have been on the unit I have seen bears with a lot of them being the Jellystone type looking for that picnic basket. Find a canyon away from all the people and have fun.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Drawing an area one knows nothing about (for any hunt) can be a good thing....Sometimes. If your the persistent type of individual, you can learn a new area just from placing boots on the ground and a map, GPS unit. (I said map,:-| showing age for sure) Well, that's the way it was done when I was a youngster. :grin:

·
Registered
765 Posts
I have looked at draw odds in the past thinking I could just try and draw another unit with the points I have. But I always end up putting in for the units I know the best in the end. The La Sal bear hunt is not an easy hunt no matter the hunt you draw. Especially if you are unfamiliar with the area. It does have a lot of bear, but it'll take a lot of work regardless. I think typical harvest success results will back that up. It begs the question, if a units success rate is down, is it because the unit is down, or is it because several people point jumped into a unit they are clueless on and aren't able to harvest an animal?

21 - 25 of 25 Posts