Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just glanced over the Wild Fur Forecast for this season and its as dim as a burned out light bulb.

With world unrest and questionable economic recovery from the pandemic, no one is buying fur. The fur warehouses are full of unsold pelts from March and with the "overstock" of those pelts, it looks as if the market will take years to come back to a price that makes it worth trapping.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
regardless -- I'll continue trapping skunks!

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
regardless -- I'll continue trapping skunks!
Go for it and help save some of the bird population! Don't forget the Racoons. They destroy a bunch of nests during the hatch.

I just thought of an idea...…. I'll have a big trophy made up and we can have a bunch of guys in a "competition" like scenario, and see who can get the most skunks and racoons????? Winner gets the trophy and bragging rights. I'd have to give the skunk guys 2 points for each skunk and 1 point to the racoon guys. Lord knows they've earned it!

·
Super Moderator
10,288 Posts
You could fool me on the prices for furs and there being a abundance of them sitting in a warehouse.

I have a young friend who would like a badger fur that was lost in a house fire this past summer. Looking at the market for tanned furs they are still sky high.

It's always the same story that when you are not looking for or hunting the animal they are all over the place but try to find one when you want it and they are nowhere around. Just before he asked me if I could help I saw three of them.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
I just thought of an idea...…. I'll have a big trophy made up and we can have a bunch of guys in a "competition" like scenario, and see who can get the most skunks and racoons????? Winner gets the trophy and bragging rights. I'd have to give the skunk guys 2 points for each skunk and 1 point to the racoon guys. Lord knows they've earned it!
I'm in!!

I've caught 3 skunks at my place in October. I had to drown 2 of them -- the 3rd had already melted before I got to it....-O,-
Do they count?

Do we just need to take pictures? Let's work this out, and get going on it!

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Skunks have got to be worth more than 2 points--more like 4 or 5! 8)
I'm not going to go after skunks!!! Been there, done it and never intend to do it again. So...…. I need some kind of a head start just targeting ****.

Lets do this PBH! We need to get more than just you and I. A trophy is going to cost me $50 for a decent one that one would be proud to show.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
OK.

I don't know much about ***** -- but I know there are alot around me. I hope I haven't already caught the last of the skunks.....errrr.....wait.....maybe I do!

I'm afraid that I'll be trapping skunks and ***** for the rest of my life in the new house.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
hmmm.....It's been almost two weeks since my last skunk. I'm starting to think maybe I cleaned them out on my place?

I'm sure there will be more show up at some point....

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I trapped11 skunks up at the cabin this year. Tied my record. Had 1 more on the cameras the last couple of weeks, but couldn't get it in the trap for the record.

2018 - 11 skunks.
2019 - 9 skunks, 4 *****. 5 foxes. Was a crazy year !!
2020 - 11 skunks.

This year I had a lion on the cameras several times, a bear for the first time ever, and a racoon, and a fox on camera several times. But, never could entice them into my trap. Tried everything that had ever worked.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
curious: anyone have a bait to catch racoons / foxes that WON'T attract a skunk?

·
Super Moderator
10,288 Posts
curious: anyone have a bait to catch racoons / foxes that WON'T attract a skunk?
I had that problem at my house. I have roaming racoons that I wanted to get rid of but there are quite a few skunks around also.

I ended up placing a couple of 2x6's about 3' off of the ground between two trees and placing a live trap on the 2x6's, we can't use leg hold traps here in Colorado. It was high enough that the skunks couldn't get to the trap and bait but the ***** could climb up the tree and walk the plank to their final resting area.

Too bad that this idea wouldn't work with a fox except if it was a little bit lower a fox may be able to jump up onto the planks to get to the trap.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
got another on Saturday! Are we keeping a tally somewhere? :)

11/14/2020
#OatmealCremePie

1 - 20 of 36 Posts