Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did it, I purchased my Furbearers License online a week ago and have decided to hit the hills despite the inflated price of fuel and the largest wild fur buyer having sanctions placed on them. Still haven't seen the license in the mail after a week. ?? Not a big deal, can't go after Bobcat for another few weeks anyway. I normally don't target cats until late January into February.

I dug out my trapps, (I have way to many traps, 165 #2's and 3's collectively) cleaned them up, new dye and wax, timed and leveled. Had to make and weld a few bases and modifications on about 20. I'm ready to bury some steel I guess.

I have a couple homemade cage traps I use for Bobcats and they need some attention! I have a couple sheets of 1/4" wire that I might make a couple more out of. Rethinking the trigger system for them and possibly modify the two old ones to the new "idea" I have in my head.

I've been wanting to pass on my 45 years of trapping knowledge to maybe help others. I've been going to get a Gopro camera and self film what I do with different sets. I don't want to take someone I don't know out with me to teach. It's like showing someone your "honey hole" for deer and elk you've worked hard for many years to find.

Anyone else going to set for Fur this year? I'll more than likely keep what I catch and tan it out. I'd hope I could get 4X the $$ going that route as to a green pelt sold in Helsinki.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I usually do a little hobby line in Feb. Trapping is truly one of the most rewarding outdoor endeavors. I'd do it all the time of I wasn't so into big game and birds. 馃檪
I've been diving deeper into the fishing scene lately. The wife can go with and enjoy the outdoors that way. She would freak out if I drug her out to a catch in a trap! I've lost interest in big game hunting. I swore this was the last year I'd do it, but I need to help out the two son-in-laws getting their first deer. I sure hope they can get a tag next year and shoot better!

Best of luck to you in your trapping endeavor this year. If I get out before December. I'll post a few pics. (If I catch something)

Registered
Anyone else going to set for Fur this year? I'll more than likely keep what I catch and tan it out. I'd hope I could get 4X the $$ going that route as to a green pelt sold in Helsinki.
I bought my furbearers and trap registration last week. Last Monday I caught a **** in a live trap at my house and found a guy to show me how to skin it and stretch it so I can tan it myself (its soaking in alum/salt right now). I need to go buy some trap dye and start looking for places close to home to try setting for *****. I really want to learn to trap foxes. How's your season going so far?

Registered
I bought my furbearers and trap registration last week. Last Monday I caught a ** in a live trap at my house and found a guy to show me how to skin it and stretch it so I can tan it myself (its soaking in alum/salt right now). I need to go buy some trap dye and start looking for places close to home to try setting for ***. I really want to learn to trap foxes. How's your season going so far?
I am super curious, what in the heck did you catch that the name of the animal had to be blocked out?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bought my furbearers and trap registration last week. Last Monday I caught a ** in a live trap at my house and found a guy to show me how to skin it and stretch it so I can tan it myself (its soaking in alum/salt right now). I need to go buy some trap dye and start looking for places close to home to try setting for ***. I really want to learn to trap foxes. How's your season going so far?
I pulled all my footholds last week. Ran out of waxed dirt and the freeze/thaw ground wasn't working out. Had a Coyote footprint directly on top of a trap pan and it was froze and didn't fire. Set 45 snares for 8 days and was able to scratch out 7 Yotes. All my traps and snares have been pulled and are in the fur shed hanging.
I have some Muskrat "hangman" poles I built and I'll look for a place to set a dozen of them and see if they work.

Registered
I pulled all my footholds last week. Ran out of waxed dirt and the freeze/thaw ground wasn't working out. Had a Coyote footprint directly on top of a trap pan and it was froze and didn't fire. Set 45 snares for 8 days and was able to scratch out 7 Yotes. All my traps and snares have been pulled and are in the fur shed hanging.
I have some Muskrat "hangman" poles I built and I'll look for a place to set a dozen of them and see if they work.
7 yotes in a week is awesome. Now I need to research waxed dirt. I haven't seen that mentioned before. I have been scouting On-X for property to ask permission to trap on. I found a few I think look good and I can tell where the landowner lives.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
7 yotes in a week is awesome. Now I need to research waxed dirt. I haven't seen that mentioned before. I have been scouting On-X for property to ask permission to trap on. I found a few I think look good and I can tell where the landowner lives.
Wax dirt is simple to make.
Take your sifted dirt from the area your planning to trap. (5 gal. bucket full) Then, 8-10 pounds of grated paraffin wax.
I use a 4x4 sheet of concrete ply with 3/4"x4" pine screwed on the side of the ply as a border with black 6mill plastic lined in it. Pour the dirt on it, and start mixing in the wax with a small garden rake. The dirt will take on a dark color (like it was wet with water) Once it's mixed in and "dries" I put it back in the bucket with the lid on air tight. I do it in the summer when the temps are in the 90's and it works out nice.
Trapping doesn't start in the fall, it starts with prepping in the summer. I also use walnut husks and shells I gather from a black walnut tree after they fall on the ground to use as a die for the traps and snares after boiling them in water with baking soda.
If you have new traps, soak them in water that has a light boil for about 15 minutes. This will remove the oils on the trap and start a rusting on the steel that will help the die process to adhere to the trap and give it the dark color. DO NOT pull the traps out of the water! Pour the water out of the metal pot. If you pull the traps out of the water, your putting them through the oils on the top of the water.
When you have a Yote catch, the Yote will drag the trap around making it look shinny and remove the die/wax and will need to be died and waxed again.

Registered
Wax dirt is simple to make.
Take your sifted dirt from the area your planning to trap. (5 gal. bucket full) Then, 8-10 pounds of grated paraffin wax.
I use a 4x4 sheet of concrete ply with 3/4"x4" pine screwed on the side of the ply as a border with black 6mill plastic lined in it. Pour the dirt on it, and start mixing in the wax with a small garden rake. The dirt will take on a dark color (like it was wet with water) Once it's mixed in and "dries" I put it back in the bucket with the lid on air tight. I do it in the summer when the temps are in the 90's and it works out nice.
Trapping doesn't start in the fall, it starts with prepping in the summer. I also use walnut husks and shells I gather from a black walnut tree after they fall on the ground to use as a die for the traps and snares after boiling them in water with baking soda.
If you have new traps, soak them in water that has a light boil for about 15 minutes. This will remove the oils on the trap and start a rusting on the steel that will help the die process to adhere to the trap and give it the dark color. DO NOT pull the traps out of the water! Pour the water out of the metal pot. If you pull the traps out of the water, your putting them through the oils on the top of the water.
When you have a Yote catch, the Yote will drag the trap around making it look shinny and remove the die/wax and will need to be died and waxed again.
Great advice! I appreciate this. For now I am going to try the commercially available trap dye. I found a couple of place that have it for around $5. I'll have to make some dirt this summer. I will continue scouting for areas I would like to trap.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts