Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Been wondering when those would come out. The doe hunt I was after, 17/23 applicants with 4 point drew the tag. Just my luck I would be one of the 6 that didn't.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Oops. I got it wrong on the youth draw for antlerless deer east canyon davis. I thought for sure the early hunt would be an easier draw than the Oct hunt that runs with the general buck hunt. So, I put my daughter in for the early hunt with 2 points thinking she was good. She ended up being 9 of the 27 that wiffed. Would have had the tag if I did the Oct hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
It's become a joke trying to pull skin head tags. Looking forward in a way of hanging up the hunting boots and picking up the fishing pole in the year to come. No more tags I need to worry about that end up costing $120 for a stinky doe deer tag. I'll be buying tags in New Mexico and have a great time.

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
I looked at only the hunts on the greater Central Mtns Manti unit for cow elk. There are various hunts across the unit. They required the following points to guarantee a tag this year:

Goodness. Heaven help us all!

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So… why is no one proposing to severely decreasing ALW tags and doing more archery and muzzleloader hunts? Changing season dates? Decreasing success will increase opportunity, yeah? Isn’t that what everyone is screaming for these days? Let’s do it now before antlerless point creep gets too far out of control!

·
Registered
597 Posts
So… why is no one proposing to severely decreasing ALW tags and doing more archery and muzzleloader hunts? Changing season dates? Decreasing success will increase opportunity, yeah? Isn’t that what everyone is screaming for these days? Let’s do it now before antlerless point creep gets too far out of control!
Last year when Covy said cow permits were taking 5+ points to draw and something needed done. The board said it wasn't true and everyone was happy with the current system so no changes needed.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Last year when Covy said cow permits were taking 5+ points to draw and something needed done. The board said it wasn't true and everyone was happy with the current system so no changes needed.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
I think it’s time to replace every member of the board with people who rely on general hunts for their annual hunting opportunities. Not private land owners and people who can buy their way in to hunts every fall

·
Administrator
4,086 Posts
My four points for elk weren’t enough, I was part of the 20% who didn’t draw in the point pool.

Thanks for posting the links!

What a great time to be a youth hunter - lot and lots of tags with some incredible draw odds!

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you for posting link, I was dieing to find out why my son and I did not draw our cow tags.
Almost 300% increase in top end point holder applications.
I’m scratching my head on not only the increase but why they jumped from their old areas….
Success rates, previous draw odds… it all plays into it. Honestly I wish they wouldn’t publish draw odds. I think you’d have far less people jumping ship every year if they couldn’t reference how many different units they can draw with their points in the bank. My neighbor for example, has never applied for the same unit twice. He’ll put in for one unit one year, look at draw odds and jump to another if he feels like he has a better shot at that tag.

as far as the private land cow tags go, they need to get them gone and offer the tags to the public again through the drawing. It’s not much, but it’s about all we have left at this point. A public tag can still be used on most private pieces. All it’s done has given private land owners their own special hunt and completely excluded most hunters from a public resource.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Look at the bottom numbers on page 5 of the cow draw stats. Many new hunters are entering this hunt. It will soon be considered a premium hunt-tougher to draw every year.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I drew a cow elk tag with 1 point and didn't draw doe deer with 4 points 🤷‍♂️
ha! It was literally the opposite for me, didn’t draw a cow tag with 1 point, got my doe tag with 4.

that said, my son got his cow tag with zero points.

either way you shake it, 4+ points for a doe tag is insane

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
A valid reason for those private land cow tags has been to push “smart” elk that head to private at the first rifle report back onto public in order to increase success rates on public land. In theory, I don’t have a problem with it because public woods devoid of animals is not my kind of hunt…but improvements could be made.

I do like the ideas of pushing tags toward lower success weapons to increase the number of tags that can be allotted. Perhaps issuing more archery and muzz tags and fewer rifle tags on private lands, and not just public lands, would work?

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ha! It was literally the opposite for me, didn’t draw a cow tag with 1 point, got my doe tag with 4.

that said, my son got his cow tag with zero points.

either way you shake it, 4+ points for a doe tag is insane
In a way, im happy it’s taking so long to draw a doe deer tag. That means they aren’t giving very many out. Which right now, is a good thing

A valid reason for those private land cow tags has been to push “smart” elk that head to private at the first rifle report back onto public in order to increase success rates on public land. In theory, I don’t have a problem with it because public woods devoid of animals is not my kind of hunt…but improvements could be made.

I do like the ideas of pushing tags toward lower success weapons to increase the number of tags that can be allotted. Perhaps issuing more archery and muzz tags and fewer rifle tags on private lands, and not just public lands, would work?
Private elk are private elk. Special tags won’t fix that. And public elk many times become private elk in the winter. Creating a great, exclusive cow hunt for the minority, who already qualify for private land tags.

what good does it do anyone to push private land herds on to public, when the public doesn’t have any tags to hunt them with in the first place?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts