Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How is everyone else fairing this season? It was bad this spring but I continue to have cancel trips. The last 3+ days down in SW Utah have been nuts.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
My FIL lives in cedar city and he's telling me this is one of the windiest years he can remember. I'm sure the fire fuels are drying out to extreme levels.

Reactions: TPrawitt91

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
I was hoping to fish a little at Yellowstone last week...........

I haven't been out much of late and wind has been a part of that. Utah lake has been good though. Hope to get out on my next day off and if the wind behaves, maybe even use the float tube.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I really don't recall having so many high wind events in years past. Seems like these days it is always an extreme of one type or another.

I probably just wasn't paying attention in the past.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
Lived in Southern Utah for over 60 years, it's been worse. A few years back it was so bad with the wind and dust you couldn't see the mountains to the west between Cedar and New Harmony for days.

One winter a few years back it snowed at my place just south of Cedar 18 inches and the weather went into the teens and the wind blew for two weeks and I had 3 foot drifts in my driveway every day for those two weeks.

New move in's ask me if it blows a lot in Cedar valley, and I tell them that it stops once in a while, but every time it does stop all the cows fall over.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Lived in Southern Utah for over 60 years, it's been worse. A few years back it was so bad with the wind and dust you couldn't see the mountains to the west between Cedar and New Harmony for days.

One winter a few years back it snowed at my place just south of Cedar 18 inches and the weather went into the teens and the wind blew for two weeks and I had 3 foot drifts in my driveway every day for those two weeks.

New move in's ask me if it blows a lot in Cedar valley, and I tell them that it stops once in a while, but every time it does stop all the cows fall over.
That's a better joke than the corny one I always hear. The first pioneers were passing through what is present day Cedar City and decided to stop there and make camp until the wind stopped blowing. They have been there ever since.

Hair Nose Mouth Smile Ear

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Lived in Southern Utah for over 60 years, it's been worse.
I'm not so sure. i've lived here for a long time too, and I know we've had wind events in the past -- but the number of 25mph sustained winds for 3-4 days in a row this year have been more that what I can remember. Combine that with the extended drought, floods, fires....yeah. I think something has changed. Or, rather, maybe something hasn't -- like the jet stream is stuck in a bad place and hasn't changed...

Reactions: backcountry

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm use to windy periods in the spring. I'm used to epic winds at the leading and tail ends of storms. I've definitely experienced heavier single day winds, like the 65 mph winds about 3+ years ago that ruined more than a few roofs. Cedar is just windy in general.

But something seems different this year. As PBH said, 3+ days of sustained day long winds in June like we just experienced just seems odd.

But I'm also "stuck" to recreating mostly on weekends so it's more noticeable to me when I have to cancel plans then.

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
The funny thing is yesterday my wife said..... "it's nice not to have the wind blowing"..... I looked up at the trees swaying in the breeze and said..."what are you talking about"?;)

But at least the cows weren't straining as hard to not fall over.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
yesterdays weather in CC shows a 6mph high wind (6/20). I agree with your wife -- nice. Anything under 12mph is pretty nice.

Because I hear about how windy CC is all the time, sometimes I have to remind people that the only reason they think it's windy is because they happen to be standing in CC at the time.

Check this out -- because we all know how beautiful the weather in St. George is...

St. George wind vs. Cedar City wind:

Rectangle Slope Plot Font Parallel

Rectangle Slope Plot Font Line

So, what we learned today is that: St. George has a longer, on average, windy season (5.8 months), with higher average wind speeds (8.0), and a windier April (9.1mph). Also, the calmer time of year is also windier (6.9).

Who woulda thunk it??

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
Yeah, if there isn't a little breeze it gets too hot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts