Utah Wildlife Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

· Registered
3,810 Posts
Farmers and ranchers use ATV/UTV for many reasons in the course of tending animals much like they use tractors. All are considered implements of husbandry if being used for that purpose. Kind of along the lines of green diesel.

Part of the registration fees for snowmobiles are used to support grooming. Maybe all of them. You don't see many snowmobiles on muddy or dusty roads or their tracks across country. Their impact pretty much disappears with the snow.

Who knows? Any cost for the plate should only be a one time fee. I guess we will find out when the first one get registered for the year.

· Registered
5,163 Posts
Well this is an interesting one for prospective bison hunters...

Interesting indeed. I know why they are doing this. A lot of cattle ranchers are freaked out about bison roaming out of the "buff" range and gobbling up their AUMs (potentially legitimate concern) and spreading brucellosis (far less likely), and this is the legislatures response. Whereas it is patterned after the OTC hunt already in place by the DWR, I don't think it is a huge game changer really for those in the buff pool. It might get a few more folks out of the pool if additional OTC opportunities arise.

The 365 day provision could be interesting I suppose.

· Registered
8,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
If you know of bison off the zone, go buy a 365 day OTC license and go kill one. That's how I read it. They aren't going to be shooting fish in a barrel by any means, but I think this will be something a decent amount of people utilize.

Think about the OTC situation in Range Creek. When they were proposing this, it was sold with the disclaimer "very difficult" and "low success." Over 100 bison were killed on those tags on that hunt the first year.

· Administrator
11,598 Posts
I talked to a couple of DWR officers about a bison that was up on the Viniquin (sp) one year and asked if it was legal to shoot it since it wasn't in a area that was managed for bison. Both of them just scratched their head.

I do believe that you would need to see one of them wondering in a area outside of a management area and then go buy the tag.

There are also a number of bison killed in Colorado every year just across the Utah border south of HWY 40 all the way to I-70. Colorado considers them feral animals with no season or limit.

· Registered
5,163 Posts
If you know of bison off the zone, go buy a 365 day OTC license and go kill one. That's how I read it.
Me too, but will the purchaser be removed from the buff pool, like the OTC Range Creek purchasers were? Is the DWR able to put such stipulations on the tags based on this bill?

Also, as I read this, if a rancher that is raising "domestic buff" on their property, has them escape, then it's "bang" for anyone with a permit? I don't see any restriction or provision for privately owned buff?

· Registered
8,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Me too, but will the purchaser be removed from the buff pool, like the OTC Range Creek purchasers were? Is the DWR able to put such stipulations on the tags based on this bill?
I think so. It says the permits are subject to all other requirements, and I think the “wait period” for the OIL species would apply. I “think so”…I do not “know so.”

· Registered
284 Posts
A slight update to the mentor program. Shouldn't have too much of an effect, only if you die.

So I am curious what the motivation is for this change? Are we really worried about people passing away with a tag in hand? So now Grandpa isn’t doing great. Better use his points to get a great tag so Junior can hunt and since he will be gone someone else that is physically able can accompany Junior?

· Registered
5,163 Posts
I got this email from TU yesterday.

Fellow Utah Trout Unlimited Members

Hopefully you have heard about the movement to rebuild the Loa Fish Hatchery.
There is a meeting at the State Capitol on Tuesday Jan. 24 to discuss allocating the spending for this. The Infrastructure and General Government Appropriations Subcommittee meeting starts at 8 AM with the Loa Discussion slated for 9:45 but could go earlier or later. If you are able to attend we can show the fishing community support for this. Meeting is in Room 210 in Senate Building(East Building)
Link to Agenda: https://le.utah.gov/Interim/2023/html/00000374.htm
Link to committee page: https://le.utah.gov/committee/committee.jsp?year=2023&com=APPIGG
DWR Docs on this project:
Loa Hatchery Reconstruction Benefits.pdf
Loa Hatchery site Technology.pdf
Thanks in advance from your Utah TU Council.
Capitol Parking Map
Members of the public attending a meeting must abide by legislative committee meeting rules of decorum found
https://le.utah.gov/Documents/PublicSafetyLetter_1-16-23.pdf.
Thanks in advance from your Utah TU Council.​

21 - 31 of 31 Posts