Utah Wildlife Forum banner

81 - 98 of 98 Posts

·
Administrator
21,355 Posts

The closure of the Herculaneum lead smelter will have little, if any, affect on bullet manufacturing and the story has been refuted many times. The Herculaneum smelter is not the only smelter in the US.: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/12/chris-dumm/nssf-sierra-atk-worried-lead-smelter-closure/ says:

"..........the particular regulation responsible for the closure was published in 2008. The Herculaneum closure appears to be the end-game of a legal and administrative battle that started in 2003 under the administration of president George W. Bush."

Sierra says closing lead smelter won't affect them:
http://sierrabullets.wordpress.com/...he-lead-smelting-plant-affect-sierra-bullets/

Federal and Speer say the closure won't affect them:
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...plant-in-order-to-enact-backdoor-gun-control/

"Manufacturers use recycled lead to make ammunition. They don't buy from smelters," Mr. Keane, general counsel for the National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF), told me Monday. "The EPA closing, which has been in the works for a while, will have no impact on production, supply or cost to the consumers."

It appears much of the primary lead in the US is imported already, from Australia and China mostly. Only a small percentage of available lead is used for ammo and it comes from re-cycled batteries. Something like 98% of the lead in batteries gets re-cycled.

uh...whatever, I should never let the truth stand in the way of a good story.

Top of the page!!

·
Administrator
21,355 Posts
I feel bad about hoarding so I'm selling the 13,500 rounds I bought in 1977 for 1.7¢ a round and buying a good air rifle.

uh....tried out the Verdana #3 font, waddya think?

·
Registered
642 Posts
I feel bad about hoarding so I'm selling the 13,500 rounds I bought in 1977 for 1.7¢ a round and buying a good air rifle.
Anyone that has had the same 27 bricks of .22 ammo for 36 years must not like to shoot very much - or is planning one giant retirement party/shooting event for all his friends!

Unless .22 LR ages like fine wine or something... :)

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Latest issue of The Rifleman does an article on where the ammo is all going, they said use has exceeded production at this point, its not the "government" buying it all up, nor hoarders... but people actually buying and shooting the stuff. They have charts showing sales increasing in the years leading up to the shortage, we finally just reached the tipping point.

IMO, they downplay the hoarding angle at least when it comes to 22LR, but it does mean that prices really aren't going to go down much if at all from current levels.

-DallanC
I highly doubt people are shooting thousands more rounds of .22 than they were a year ago. I've been wrong before.

My doubt comes from the ads I see where people are selling 5,000 rounds of .22 at $0.15 + per round...surely they didn't end up with 5,000 rounds because they actually thought they were going to shoot them...if that's the case then .22 replacement barrels/components would also be selling like crazy.

·
Administrator
21,355 Posts
Anyone that has had the same 27 bricks of .22 ammo for 36 years must not like to shoot very much - or is planning one giant retirement party/shooting event for all his friends!

Unless .22 LR ages like fine wine or something... :)
ah, ha, ha, ha, ho, ho, hee, hee

I just made it up....except for buying the air rifle part.

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
ah, ha, ha, ha, ho, ho, hee, hee

I just made it up....except for buying the air rifle part.
Yep air rifles are the way to go. I have a friend back home in Louisiana that hunts squirrels with them at his home in town because of no noise. He says he kills between 40-60 a year. The big fox squirrels too. Not too big of a town but he has several pecan and fruit trees in his yard and the tree rats flock to them like crazy. Says his average shot is about 25-35 yards.

Last year I bought an old used Benjamin air rifle like I used as a kid way back when. I need to have it serviced now because it doesn't hold pressure. It's the old style with the tootsie roll pump....

Reactions: wyogoob

·
Administrator
21,355 Posts

·
Administrator
21,355 Posts
I want one of these but cant get my self to pay the huge price tag.
Wow, that thing is impressive. I hope so for $1500!

Yahoo!!! top of the page!!!

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Very cool and not a bad price.

Air rifles like that, or let me say "of that caliber", have been around for over 200 years. Lewis and Clark used them.

A repeating rifle that had a magazine capacity of twenty-two .46 caliber round balls that could be fired with great accuracy and enough energy to blow a hole through a one inch pine board at 100 yards clear back in 1803?! Why in the blue blazes didn't this thing spread like a wildfire?

·
Administrator
21,355 Posts
Cuz it took 10,000 pumps with a hand pump to charge it ?

-DallanC
No. Wasn't it more like 1000 or 1200 pumps for a full charge? As already ststed the firearm was a repeater, capable of shooting dozens of balls on one charge, but if you wanted to shoot one ball hard enough to knock an Indian down it didn't take all that many pumps. My guess is these air rifles were expensive to make.

An air rifle was a brilliant move. Spending every day for months in a makeshift boat they didn't have to worry about keeping their powder dry. Besides there was no TV or internet so they had plenty of time on their hands.

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
No. Wasn't it more like 1000 or 1200 pumps for a full charge? As already ststed the firearm was a repeater, capable of shooting dozens of balls on one charge, but if you wanted to shoot one ball hard enough to knock an Indian down it didn't take all that many pumps. My guess is these air rifles were expensive to make.
I remember they ran at like 2000psi. Remember, this was pretty much back when rubber wasnt all that common. No tire pumps as there weren't tires. It would be interesting to know how they made the components back then to without our modern tech.

An air rifle was a brilliant move. Spending every day for months in a makeshift boat they didn't have to worry about keeping their powder dry. Besides there was no TV or internet so they had plenty of time on their hands. .
True.

-DallanC

·
Administrator
21,355 Posts
I remember they ran at like 2000psi. Remember, this was pretty much back when rubber wasnt all that common. No tire pumps as there weren't tires. It would be interesting to know how they made the components back then to without our modern tech.

True.

-DallanC
Modern tech? The seals were leather. Oil-soaked leather seals are still used today; high pressure piston-operated natural gas valves is one example, vacuum pumps another. In many cases rubber, or nylon, replaced leather because it was cheaper, not better.

81 - 98 of 98 Posts