Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will 22 points draw the early rifle hunt for Monroe LE elk. All the drawing odds websites I see only go up to about 19 or so points and it shows quite a few applicants still with that number of points. My wife's grandpa put in for this hunt this year with his 22 points and I'm wondering if he will draw it.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I'd about guarantee he will. Assuming four bonus tags are given like last year, he will have a guaranteed tag unless there are 5 or more applicants for the Monroe hunt with 22 points or more. Max points for the unit last year was 20, so it would take quite a few jumping in to mess up his chances.

See this document:

http://wildlife.utah.gov/hunting/biggame/pdf/2015/15_big_game_odds_report.pdf

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Go to page 159 and 160 of the draw odds that Clarq linked. there are only 7 people with more points than your wife's grandpa and 53 with the same number of points (35 that applied for a point last year and 19 that didn't draw last year minus him).

Most of the people applying with that many points are going to San Juan or Fillmore, Pahvant. You never know what people will do in any given year. Some might jump to the Monroe, but I'd say his odds are pretty good.

I went back to 2012 and the trend for the Monroe unit seem pretty consistent. With the exception of 2013 nobody with max points has applied for the Monroe, and in the last two years nobody with more than or event the same number of points as your WGP has applied for the Monroe.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the comments guys. Looks like we will most likely be enjoying an awesome elk hunt with grandpa this year. I'm excited to learn the Monroe unit. People say this unit isn't what it used to be, but I hear there are still plenty of great bulls around and the success rates reflect that.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
Go to page 159 and 160 of the draw odds that Clarq linked. there are only 7 people with more points than your wife's grandpa
And I know two of those, both wifes who's husbands have been banking up points under their names. Neither are putting in this year.

-DallanC

·
Registered
234 Posts
Monroe isn't even close to what it used to be!

However, you can still have a great elk hunt for a mature bull!

Have fun on that mountain. It's a good time!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts