Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that Cabela's has an sale going on this Friday for there Mossberg semi-auto .22's. I have heard that those who purchase 22's other than Browning, or the Ruger 10/22 have problems with them jamming just about every shot. Is this true? I have only one .22. It is a Ruger 10/22 and it has been a great gun, but I am looking to buy a Christmas present and thought about buying the Mossberg. Some advice please. Thanks! :lol:

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I don't know about the mossbergs. I have a marlin and never have a problem with it jamming. I have had some 10/22's and I prefer the marlins hands down.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I also have a mariln and have no problems. I know that my bro in law has a rem and it jams a lot. The problem is the mag does not push the bullets up fast enough.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I'd just get the 10/22. Every time he shoots it, he'll think of you. Same is true with a gun that jams. How much are you really saving over the 10/22 price of $180?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Oh, a straw purchase!! :shock: :p

Cal ranch has some Mossberg plinkster rifles, semi or bolt advertised under $100.00. Consider the bolt action if you're concerned about the semi jamming.

·
Registered
290 Posts
fatbass said:
Every "cheap" .22 has a personality all its own. I have owned several Glenfields and Marlins and Remington nylon .22's and they all had quirks of some kind. Some couldn't take cold weather, some had to be squeaky clean and oiled up just right and some needed certain brands of ammo to autoload properly. If you have the patience to figure out the quirks of a cheap .22, go for it. I would, however, suggest you spend a little more and stick with a quality brand like Browning or Ruger. I don't have any experience with Mossberg .22's but I have a Mossberg 12 ga pump that seems to work just fine.
Since this is a gift, go ahead and buy it! If they don't like it, they can always return it since Cabelas is good about returns.
I too think it all depends on the ammo and the way you clean your gun. I have a 10/22 Ruger and had to try different ammo to find one that doesn't jam! Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
My experience has been that CCI makes pretty good ammo for the 22 long rifle. My handgun in 22 doesn't jam nearly as much with this ammo, but all other kinds I've tried with it are not good at all.

·
Registered
642 Posts
While the Ruger 10/22 is not perfect, it could be considered the "small block Chevy" or "Colt 1911" of the .22 world - it works very well and there are a million aftermarket parts, from barrels, stocks, triggers, hi-cap mags etc. to make it a totally custom and awesome .22 rifle if you desire. You can't get that with other brands. It is THE benchmark of .22 semis with super resale value and I would go with the flow. You can always sell it for nearly as much as you paid - try that with the others!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts