Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well its pretty much done. Eric Gilbert with Big Chief Archery did the machine work and cerakote job. I think it looks great. I still may have him put a larger bolt knob but other than that I think I'm finished for now. I'll up grade the barrel when I shoot this one out.

I also bought a reloading press so will see how it shoots on Monday if it's not blowing 50 mph. uploadfromtaptalk1441505122949.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1441505344021.jpg

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Booya it's a factory barrel. When I shoot it out I may replace it with custom 1/8 barrel. I'm also going to true the action at that time.

Right now all I've done is timminey trigger set at 2lbs, B&C stock, fluted the bolt, slick coated the bolt, cerakote the gun and bought all the reloading stuff to try 95 grain balistic silvertips. Hope the twist is good enough. Will see tomorrow if it's not windy

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That was also me shooting off a bipod like I would in a hunting situation. It might shoot better off a lead sled

·
Bjorne Lou Tsar
3,340 Posts
I measured 1.12 inch center to center of your outside holes. At 300 yards, I believe you have a winner all ready! Sweet shooting SWB. It'd be interesting to see how much more you can squeeze out of that thing. Good job on a fine rifle.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
The rifle shoots better then I do but I wouldn't say it's an awesome shooter. Best I can do off the bipod is about .95 moa at a hundred yards with five shot groups some are tight but I always sling two group killers. When I went out again yesterday I found the bipod/gun hops different every shot so I need to figure out what I'm doing wrong in my form and I think it might be a half inch moa shooter if conditions are perfect.

I don't know how guys can lay a rifle over a log or shoot without a rear sandbag and can still hit anything at distance or field shooting conditions.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Any help would be apreaciated in my quest for smaller groups. I think the 300 yard groups earlier were flukes.

I've been testing different loads at a hundred yards this is what I get. I can also rule out shooter error because I shot my friends 300 rum shooting 180 grain factory bullets out of a heavy barell remington. I can shoot his 1/2 moa off my tripod and rear sand bag.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
42 grains h414
95 grain ballistic tip
2.65 coal
The group killer was the right bullet. I also shot this group after the max load. Should have waited longer. Running out of daylight
uploadfromtaptalk1441946556674.jpg

1 - 20 of 31 Posts