Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you were limited to three calibers/gauges, what would you choose?

My choice:
.308 Winchester (.30-06 or 7mm-08 would be alternatives)
12 gauge shotgun
.22 long rifle.

With that combination your OK to hunt anything in Utah, though if you were going for elk/moose/buffalo one might want to add a fourth, in which case I would choose

.45-70

or maybe

.338 Winchester magnum.

(Wait a minute, isn't it cheating to add a fourth caliber/gauge considering the title of the thread?)

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
There are pretty compelling arguments for the three you have listed (.308, 12 guage, .22LR). I think I'd pick the same three.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I've always only had a 3 gun arsenal because its all I can afford. 22LR, 20 gauge or 12 gauge and 308 win over most of the last 24 years. Currently my 3 gun arsenal is a 22LR, 12 gauge, and 300 win mag.

·
Premium Member
2,741 Posts
Considering the fact that nowadays I feel inclined to carry a firearm for self defense.....

I am going with a 9mm, a 12 gauge and a .308. Plenty of available cheaper ammo, I can hunt anything and carry for self defense with something bigger than a .22

Tough call because the .22 is my favorite caliber

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
If I only had the option of 3 guns, I'd say the original list covers all the bases very well. Can't really beat it - although I'd go with a 30-06 instead of the .308. For all my other needs, I'd make sure to borrow a buddy's 45-70, 223, etc.

You know, kind of like making sure you are friends with someone who owns a nice boat.:mrgreen:

·
Administrator
7,990 Posts
I think I'd go with the following:

.22 LR because I can carry 500 rounds with minimal weight, and I can shoot most any small game with it with minimal damage to meat.

.308 Win because it is a military caliber and ammo is very plentiful/ubiquitous in case I need more. Also, it will kill everything North America has to offer (obviously not ideal for moose / buffalo, but it'd work in a pinch).

12 gauge shotgun. Birdshot and buck shot will fill every gap that the other two cartridges don't and clearly it will allow me to harvest meals relatively easily. And it's a great personal defense option.

If I could add a fourth option, it would be a.223. Not because it is an amazing caliber, but also because of ammo availability. It would be s great midrange caliber and would work in a pinch on midsized game like deer and antelope.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
Now that I think about it, I might sub the center fire rifle for my Muzzleloader. Killed more stuff with that thing than all my other rifles combined.

-DallanC

·
Registered
367 Posts
I'd probably approach it with a 45-70, a 12 gauge, and a muzzleloader for flare. Granted the 12 could do it all and then some if you get a hold of good foster slugs or a spare rifled barrel.

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
Obviously a 12 gauge pump, then for the light caliber it's a toss up between .22 rimfire and .22WMR. For the larger caliber either a .308 or .30-06.

·
JMgardner
418 Posts
the 22 mag isn't getting enough love here. i'll go specifically and say id have a keltec PMR30 22mag pistol, a remington 870 12 gauge, and my rem700 .308 bolt. the PMR would still make a great carry gun (no one wants to fight 30 rounds of 22mag) and the ammo still light to carry and more wallup than a 22lr. and the other 2 are just pretty obvious or already covered in this thread.

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
the 22 mag isn't getting enough love here. i'll go specifically and say id have a keltec PMR30 22mag pistol, a remington 870 12 gauge, and my rem700 .308 bolt. the PMR would still make a great carry gun (no one wants to fight 30 rounds of 22mag) and the ammo still light to carry and more wallup than a 22lr. and the other 2 are just pretty obvious or already covered in this thread.
Believe it or not a .22WMR will take down any north american big game, including a bison, moose or griz. All you need is a 25-50 yard shot into the head with the 40 grain fmj with a .22wmr and it is killing anything. My brother and his friends have been hunting wild hogs in LA for years with .22wmr's and fmj. They are good out to 150 yards on a head shot on a hog and they've killed some pretty big ones, I think the biggest was pushing 500#, most are in the 200-300 pound range. He usually keeps his shots under 100 yards and off of his baited tree stand they're normally less than 50 yards. If you're taking big game with one make sure you're using the 40 grain FMJ and take a head shot. The ammo while a little heavier than a .22lr is not much heavier but the range and size of game you can take with one is significantly more than a standard .22lr. I actually have a .22wmr rifle as a back up shtf gun. I got mine at Scheels a couple of years ago when they over ordered and were selling them at $10 over cost. I wish I had bought 3 now instead of just 1. Very light little guns that you can carry all day long and barely notice it.

Reactions: Jmgardner

·
JMgardner
418 Posts
we hunt a lot of hogs back home, and my dad's main gun is a 22wmr reminington 597, and mine is a henry lever 22wmr, with a 3x9 scope. I've killed many full grown boar 1st shot with it. if i could only choose 1 gun forever, id pick a 22mag (probably my henry) over even a 12 gauge pump. a lot lighter than shotgun shells and a pump gun, and hey you can always headshot birds too if its for hunger and not sport.

·
Administrator
7,990 Posts
we hunt a lot of hogs back home, and my dad's main gun is a 22wmr reminington 597, and mine is a henry lever 22wmr, with a 3x9 scope. I've killed many full grown boar 1st shot with it. if i could only choose 1 gun forever, id pick a 22mag (probably my henry) over even a 12 gauge pump. a lot lighter than shotgun shells and a pump gun, and hey you can always headshot birds too if its for hunger and not sport.
Dude, I love my .22 WMR. I almost thought of listing the same thing but decided on the .22LR because of price per shot.

Out of curiosity, which bullet do you shoot hogs with? Id imagine the Vmax style wouldn't get enough penetration, so you'd have to go with a Maxi Mag style bullet?

·
Administrator
7,990 Posts
Do they still make 22WMR ammo? Havent seen any in stores in years...

-DallanC
They sure do! I can even tell you where to get a bunch if you'd like

1 - 20 of 29 Posts