Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought some Alliant reloader 17 today because I heard and read it is a great powder for wsm. I have a ruger m77 mark II and The bullets I want to use are 180 gr. nosler partitions or accubonds and 168 gr. hornady amax, I'm just wondering if anyone has a good recipe for these bullets and powder. Is there a good website for Alliant powder recipes?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
my uncles use RL17 in their 270WSM's. From what I'v heard, when that powder first came out, they(meaning RL17 makers) were using data from IMR4350 because it burns similar but, the RL17 is supposed to be more efficient. Again thats just hear say.

I do know my uncles prefer the RL17 over the IMR4350 loading the same grain for grain (in powder) and have nothing but good things to say about it.

So, thats where I would start if you don't find what you need here

I'd look in the Nosler book at the IMR4350 data if your using the accubond. Unless RL17 has come out with data

·
Bjorne Lou Tsar
3,340 Posts
My last 300WSM shot the best groups using RL17 and 180gr bullets with 65.5grs. For some reason I could get more velocity with RL17 without having high pressure signs versus the other powders I tried. My most accurate load was 59grs of H414. It's a pretty slow load compared to what I got out of most of the other powders/loads but it sure grouped well so I stuck with it.

·
Administrator
21,440 Posts
My last 300WSM shot the best groups using RL17 and 180gr bullets with 65.5grs. For some reason I could get more velocity with RL17 without having high pressure signs versus the other powders I tried. My most accurate load was 59grs of H414. It's a pretty slow load compared to what I got out of most of the other powders/loads but it sure grouped well so I stuck with it.
RL17 is very popular here in Evanston for the 300WSM and the 270WSM.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses.

I will keep searching hoping to find some good recipes for the reloader 17. I'm hesitant to use other powder data. That may be my only option though.

Thanks again

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Thanks for the responses.

I will keep searching hoping to find some good recipes for the reloader 17. I'm hesitant to use other powder data. That may be my only option though.

Thanks again
Dont hesitate, use the IMR4350 data if you have to, we have and we are pleased with the results. consistant burn, no over pressure and accurate ect. Its been safe. with any reloading, always use caution

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
GREENHEAD I found this on another forum

07-29-2013 #3

FootedShaft's Avatar Join Date
Sep 2008
I agree that "identical" is not the right word. I emailed Alliant last year about load data using rl17 and 375 ruger. They said that you can use imr 4350 load data for any load development but to start low and work up because they may not have the exact same max load. It worked and I've since developed loads for my 243, 7-08, 300 WM, and my 375 Ruger. Hope this helps...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks goosefreak,
I was shooting imr 4350 last summer and had good results, hopefully the rl17 will give me a little more speed and tighter groups.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts