Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
JMgardner
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sometimes things just don't go your way. So last fall I moved here to Utah and got into archery hunting. ive hunted all my life, but man does a bow make it a whole new game. anyways, was unsuccessful on the extended elk hunt last year, but I drew a general season deer tag this year so I thought things were on the up and up.

well ive found a pretty nice little patch to hunt. Nearly no pressure from other hunters. not a ton of deer but ive seen the deer everytime ive been out, and bucks 3 of the last 4 times.

try #1: was glassin and spotted a group of deer. didn't see any horns but decided to pop In closer to check it out. im about 200 yds from where the group I was watching was feeding when I look up and theres another deer staring at me (at what I ranged to be 94 yds). theres one patch of grass between me and him about 20 yds away so I decide to belly crawl to get closer. I crawl to 80 yds. he hasn't moved. I decide when I get to the grass ill shoot. I get there and he's bounding away. guess that's how it goes.

try #2: I head out one morning last week. I walk into the area right before daylight. I see through my binos, some does and fawns a few hundred yards away. I decide to walk on in to where I want to glass. right before I get there, I hear deer blowing and running. I look down in still lowlight and theres two bucks in the field in front of me and their staring at me. I drop to my stomach and watch them through binoculars. ten minutes later its finally light enough to see and its a group of about 9 deer, 4 of them bucks. well they trot off, not really spooked but just with a purpose. I glass a while longer and nothing new comes about. I decide to go sneak along where I thought the bucks might head. sure enough, I come up to one of the fields, and there is a buck staring at me. great. I back out and try to ease in to the opening of the field from a different direction and all 9 deer are in this field. theyre all feeding away from me, but there is one deer 90 yds away. it lifts its head and its the biggest buck in the group. a wide 4x3. well ive killed a lot of animals before but never have I shook harder than I did as I drew the bow. ive shot out to 80 yds comfortably before, but apparently I wasn't ready for this. I got the range right but missed 3 feet left. I painfully watch him hop away. this learning curve is harsh.

Try #3: this morning decided went out again for a quick one. had to be at work by 10. get to my favorite glassin spot and see nothing but a couple does. wife and I sat there an hour and a half. I decide to stand up and kind of look around and to my surprise theres 3 bucks behind me about 300 yds feeding. im sitting kind of on a ledge where I can work down towards them about 100 yds and not be seen. the wife and I do that and now theres nothing but about a 200yd wide dish between us. the deer start down into it and from what Ive seen of them before, im pretty certain theyre headed to within shooting distance. well as luck would have it, there are some farms around, and a guy runnin a front end loader off in the distance spooks them back in the direction they came from. at this point I decide to use this dish to close this distance as they're over the rise and cant see me. I think I know where they're headed and am going to cut them off. as I get across and start sneaking up the rise, I see horns out of my peripheral. apparently they decided to stop and feed again, and they're 85 yds away with nothing between me and them but 2 foot high shrubs. I decide if I can get within 70 ill shoot. I start inching towards them and they're oblivious. I get to 70 and decide, five. more. yds. bad decision. I get to 65 and right as I go to sit up and draw, the little spike in the group raises his head and stares me down. this lasts what feels like a century (probably 60 seconds) and the two big bucks still oblivious. finally the spike has had enough and trots off, taking the big boys with him. 3rd try was infact not a charm

come hell or high water, Im gonna do everything I can to get one of these bucks. Its awesome just getting out and playing the mind game with them and the weather has been gorgeous. if anything else exciting happens, ill update this thread. and if (when) I get one, ill be sure to post the pics as well.

·
JMgardner
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i appreciate it! hopefully school starting doesnt conflict too much with my hunt. i think what i need is a mr. miagi or something to teach me the ways and quick.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
3 times is just a good start. Even the great Chuck Adams says it is usually a minimum of 10 stalks to get 1 good opportunity. Time on the mountain is key and looks like you are putting in the time. It will come and be sweeter with the struggle.

Good luck.

Reactions: silentstalker
1 - 4 of 4 Posts