Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is a good bullet to shoot for a .45 semi auto when carrying as a concealed weapon and would be using it for self defense at home and out on the bowhunt for possible use aginst cougars, bears, etc. I've heard a FMJ is better for predators because you get more penetration, but that a JHP is better on man since it expands more. What are your opinions? Utbowhntr

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Cougars are thin skinned and light boned, and anti-personnel rounds would be effective against them at close ranges. I prefer the Federal Hydra-shock 230 grain in my 1911.

Bears have some heavier bone and muscle, and penetration may be more of an issue. Use of a hard cast or FMJ is probably a better choice. The .45 is a low velocity round and these types of bullets penetrate well on black bear sized animals.

Personally, I don't perfer any of the short autos for carry in the hills. I'd suggest a .357 Mag or .44 Mag revolver. Both have much more energy for defense against animals and are accurate at longer ranges.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Speer Gold Dot HPs have a good reputation and are basically a bonded-core bullet just like many premium rifle hunting bullets. I would go 230-gr. for your app.

Since bears are normally hunted and killed in this state with a bow, why do you feel the need for a handgun backup in this application?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I put some of those Speer Gold Dot through my Colt at the range the other day... Junk! I've never had so many problems with ammo not feeding. I'd never trust my life to those, be better off throwing them. IMHO Corbon work the best for a defense round out of a semi auto handgun.

·
Registered
642 Posts
What can I say? The Gold Dots, both factory and handloaded, feed just fine thru my XD45 and Kimber .45 ACP pistols. Junk they are not - perhaps the problem lies elsewhere.

·
Registered
210 Posts
The best .45 Auto ammunition that I have come across, built with SUPER bullets and a +P rating is the Hornady TAP ammo for personal defense. It is loaded with the Hornady XTP bullets (XTP=Xtreme Terminal Performance). Since they are +P rated, they travel about 100 fps faster than "regular" .45 ammo (about 950 fps).

Also, the Hornady has been VERY accurate in my .45. Actually, it's the most accurate ammo I have ever tried.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts