Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a skull plate with hair and antlers still on it today. If you shot a deer with rifle, muzzy or bow this year in the Diamond Fork/Hobble Creek area and couldn't find it, try and describe exactly what the rack looked like and I may have something for you. There are "extras" on this rack... so you'll have to be pretty precise. If its nobodys, then I'll hang it myself after a while. 8)

·
Premium Member
11,689 Posts
Maybe I have totally misunderstood your post, if so, please forgive me, otherwise isn't it illegal to pick up said skull plate as it had antlers attached?

·
Registered
876 Posts
It is in Utah, but I know under certain circumstances the DWR has allowed peple to keep their find. I would definitely contact the DWR and let them know you have it and where you found it.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Huge29 said:
Maybe I have totally misunderstood your post, if so, please forgive me, otherwise isn't it illegal to pick up said skull plate as it had antlers attached?
No, you didn't misunderstand me. I thought about what you said as I packed it back to my truck and thought you know,.... screw it... I've moved em, I'm not going back into where I found them to leave them there, so.... I'm just taking them home. I suppose I could have just cut the antlers off and called it a shed.... but at the time, I thought hey, cool.... something I've never found before and I was too busy admiring the nice typical, pretty wide (I think) rack..... should have sat on it and thought about it some more I guess. Its a cool find, I'll call the DWR and let em know what I've got and if they want it that bad, I'll let em know where they can find me. It had been there for a while... skull all bleached out and most of it missing.... the antlers are pretty white too.... so I'm not sure if its this years or not. It certainly was not in a spot any normal person would walk up on it and be all hey, look, somebody's deer. I was way in the thick of some nasty oakbrush, cussing up a storm, sweating and ticked off, and stumbled on what I'm guessing was an animal kill.... you know, the bones scattered over quite a ways. Who knows though..... if somebody describes it.... I'm serious about giving them their set of antlers and letting them throw their tag on it.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
riverrat77 see what you went and did, you broke the code of the almighty hunter.
I would have done the same as you.

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
sagebrush said:
riverrat77 see what you went and did, you broke the code of the almighty hunter.
I would have done the same as you.
No, what he did was break the law. :roll:

PRO

·
Registered
599 Posts
Oh boy here we go. You might as well have asked us all to change our offencive avitarts RR77.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cuff me and take me away.... 8) Actually, I'll just walk up on the hill, chuck the antlers out somewhere and let somebody else deal with the grief..... :p NOT!!! I found em, and I'll report it. I'd guess that more than likely, as bleached out as these are, the DWR won't give a rats about em. Its not like I'm hiding the "General"'s cousin on my porch or something. Thanks for the support and advice guys.... I'm honestly not that concerned about it. If they really have an issue with me finding old antlers and taking them home, then we've all got bigger problems. Why aren't folks who are really breaking the laws and taking our trophy animals being taken down. I'm just a guy who lucked into a cool rack.... I've walked that same hill probably three times this year and cruised right by. Unless I had been looking for the fastest way down, I'd never have gone into that patch of oakbrush... and nobody else would either. I do hope somebody claims them and at the same time.... I don't. I'd love to have them around the house.... might even get to put them on the wall if I get a nice base for em. 8)

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
huntducksordietrying said:
Oh boy here we go. You might as well have asked us all to change our offencive avitarts RR77.
Yours offends me.... I haven't shot a Redhead that nice yet. :p Just kidding... I was aware of the holy roller storm I was about to unleash.... kinda like shaking a bees nest with the entrance next to your ear.... but I'm the kind of guy who doesn't mind that and guys can say what they want and it probably won't change what I choose to do. Let em bark.... if it gets out of control the mods will apply the shock collar and quiet things down. :lol:

·
Registered
599 Posts
Riverrat77 said:
huntducksordietrying said:
Yours offends me.... I haven't shot a Redhead that nice yet. :p Just kidding... I was aware of the holy roller storm I was about to unleash.... kinda like shaking a bees nest with the entrance next to your ear.... but I'm the kind of guy who doesn't mind that and guys can say what they want and it probably won't change what I choose to do. Let em bark.... if it gets out of control the mods will apply the shock collar and quiet things down. :lol:
Oh no its cool. I like to read how some people react. I would like to ride shotgun with guys like pro and when he goes 56 in a 55 I will quite abruptly remind him that he is breaking the law.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Breaking the law is breaking the law, for someone who cares so much about wildlife I would have expected a little more respect. Yes, it is something that is harmless and I am sure the DWR could care less. If it was that big of a deal for you, and you wanted to keep the skull you should have called the DWR in the first place.

I am glad we have guys like PRO, who are here to help keep us inline

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
oh boy :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am glad that we have people who know what to do if you collect antlers with the skull still attached. Its good to know that I need to notify the DWR... I wasn't aware of that. However, I don't need folks from the forum to keep me in line. I'll make sure and post pictures immediately if the DWR calls on me to give it up. 8) I'll even get pictures of "Officer Friendly" if they feel the need to come all the way out to pick them up. Maybe I should post a picture of my "virtual reality" guy off of 12 Volts cool site holding the antlers... since thats apparently where I fit in now. :lol: I'm seriously not sweating this.... but if I'm supposed to quit picking up antlers because it shows a lack of respect for wildlife on my part.... well, I consider that laughable. Ummmm it was a pile of dead and decaying bones and fur... actually, the only fur left was a small strip around the base of the antler. :shock: There wasn't much left to respect. :lol: Seriously folks.... do we sometimes take ourselves a little too serious with the whole "hammer of the DWR" act? I know I've done it before sometimes, but its curiously entertaining to be on this side of the ball this time.

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
Comparing going 56 in a 55 zone to taking antlers attached to a skull w/o a permit is nonsenseical. There are very good reasons for this law. I didn't write it, but I dang sure like it. You can thank the poachers we have for this law, and those who seem to pick which wildlife laws to follow. Make you cute little snide comments about me or other sportsmen for pointing out the fact that you broke the law, knowingly or not. I merely pointed out the facts, then you and others decided to act like children. I NEVER suggested having you turned in for what I assumed what an unintentional mistake, apparently you could give a rip about laws that are set to protect wildlife. Nice! :evil:

PRO

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
A really nice 3x3 got hit the other day outside of my work....when I called the DWR to ask if I could keep the head....they laughed at me. The answer was a strict NO. I told them that I had heard that if I call them they would more than likely let me keep it. The lady on the other end of the phone LAUGHED at me and said that whomever told me this was just full of crap.......so, riverrat, maybe you should just do what ever you think is ethical and right and just not mention it on this forum....you're gonna get two different sides no matter what you decide to do.

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
I'm also glad they have the rule or people would poach a buck and hang the horns in a cedar tree and return to get them later and tell people they found them. The DWR might question you about how you found them or where you found them. I guess it just depends on how old they are, but they dont sound that old if they still have the hair attached. They might even try to pin you for poaching the animal you never know, but what would you do with them?

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
utfireman said:
I am glad we have guys like PRO, who are here to help keep us inline
???
[attachment=1:1gzo1oai]badboy.jpg[/attachment:1gzo1oai]
I have been a naughty fireman. I wish PRO would keep me in-line. Punish me PRO! PUNISH ME!!!

[attachment=0:1gzo1oai]whip_crack.jpg[/attachment:1gzo1oai]
You've been a BAD BAD BOY! Now come and get your whoopin!

:shock: :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
coyoteslayer said:
I'm also glad they have the rule or people would poach a buck and hang the horns in a cedar tree and return to get them later and tell people they found them. The DWR might question you about how you found them or where you found them. I guess it just depends on how old they are, but they dont sound that old if they still have the hair attached. They might even try to pin you for poaching the animal you never know, but what would you do with them?
Let em try.... I suppose I might oughta mention the two fly fishermen that I'm pretty sure saw me coming down the hill with the antlers... oh.. that and I had a shotgun with lead shot on me that day. I'd love for them to find any shot holes in the bones, antlers or any expended shot shells on the ground in the area. They'd be in for a long search. :lol: Childish comments Pro?? Not hardly... merely a reaction to some insinuation that I'm out to take advantage of wildlife, intentionally violate laws to protect wildlife (I seriously doubt this deer minded the laws at this point) or anything else that some might deem "unethical". I'm pretty close to positive, I'm not the only one that has walked off the hill with a skull or two, perhaps even sporting antlers. I'm probably one of the few that has posted up about it offering the antlers to the person (if there is one) that shot and lost this particular deer. Yep, I'm a real violater... better watch out for folks like me who could just care less about whats in statute. Please.... waste that stuff on somebody it will actually affect. I know what I do and how I do it... and as far as I'm concerned, there's nothing wrong with what I did. The only thing I DIDN'T know was that I needed to notify the DWR of what I had... and that will be done promptly on Tuesday. If they want them, then I'll hand em on over.... funny thing... nobody made nearly the stink about the tiny skull I found with small two point antlers on it earlier this year.... or did that not matter nearly as much because it was just a two point? :roll: When people make cracks about me being a city boy... I just laugh it off. Growing up in a valley with two towns and a total population of about 300 people sure makes me big city doesn't it?? Again, waste that crap on somebody it actually has some relevance to.... I'm about as far from a city boy as you'll likely ever come across. Just because I have hunted big game for ONE season hardly makes me city... but think what you want.... hurry and buzz on out of that bee's nest so I can enjoy my honeycomb. :lol:

·
Registered
64 Posts
riverrat, do you have an old unused tag?
cut the notches and hang it on the wall.

just the fact that this has ruffled a few feathers makes my day!

i know the what the proc says, and i agree to a point.
but other states allow it, not that it makes it legal here. but why not, does this rule actually stop poaching? even slow it down? a poacher will poach no matter what law they pass,
THATS WHY THEY ARE CALLED POACHERS

i'd probably have kept it too,
i found a really nice 6x6 bull 2 weeks ago, it has been dead at least 1 year. i want to take them but haven't.

i would worry about brown semi fresh horns, but bleached white. i say fair game.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts