Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive the last minute plea for guidance, but I was happily surprised to learn my 5 year old son earned his fishing reward by meeting all his goals at kindergarten this week (the elusive "perfect week").

So now where do I take him? He's been twice before and caught 3 fish total with a lot of waiting between hits (bait fishing). Standard fishing for most of us, obviously, but he was largely bored to tears unless there was an actual fish on the line. What can I say--he's five and has the attention span of a gnat on amphetamines. We're working on it.

This time around I'd like to get him hooked with plenty of success early and often. That's how my dad got me; Penny Lake in Idaho--I got a hit on almost every cast and I'll never forget it.

We live in Sandy, but I'd be willing to drive a bit if necessary. Obviously, feel free to PM me if you'd prefer not to post. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. (I'd prefer not to do a "fish farm" for lack of a better term, since he wants me to fish along with him.)

Thanks in advance! I love this place.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
You could always head to Willow Pond in Murray and target bluegills. As long as you have very small hooks and meal worms or salmon eggs you'll be into them nonstop. They don't have any size to them, but kids love them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It's a bit of a drive but you could go to one of the Payson lakes specifically box lake. That's my go to place when I take my younger kids fishing. It gets planted so you will only catch rainbows that are between 12-15inch but typically we will catch 15-20 fish in a couple of hours. There are several other lakes up in that area that have brookies but those lakes get more pressure than Box Lake.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I kept my 5 y o busy catching small tigers and rainbows at mill hollow earlier this summer. He had a blast and I stayed busy baiting hooks.

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts
I used to take my kids to Sunset Pond in Draper. Blue gill and green sunfish were always willing to play. And it would be close to your house.

Reactions: WEK

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You could always head to Willow Pond in Murray and target bluegills. As long as you have very small hooks and meal worms or salmon eggs you'll be into them nonstop. They don't have any size to them, but kids love them.
Fantastic idea. I've fished Willow before but never for bluegill. Any place in particular they hang out or are they pretty much all over?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I can't thank you all enough for the help. These are all great ideas. We didn't end up having much luck at Whitney (one fish and a few missed bites), but he's still showing interest and wants to keep going. I'll definitely be trying the bluegill suggestions and some of the community ponds on weekdays, and maybe he and I can hit some of the farther flung destinations on the weekends.

Assuming he keeps behaving at school of course...

EDIT: He just informed me that one of his friends told him about a pond with a playground right next to it that has, he says, "TONS of fish." Eventually I was able to piece together that he's referring to the Sandy Urban Fishery near Riveroaks golf course. I'm not familiar with it. Anyone have any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I can't thank you all enough for the help. These are all great ideas. We didn't end up having much luck at Whitney (one fish and a few missed bites), but he's still showing interest and wants to keep going. I'll definitely be trying the bluegill suggestions and some of the community ponds on weekdays, and maybe he and I can hit some of the farther flung destinations on the weekends.

Assuming he keeps behaving at school of course...

EDIT: He just informed me that one of his friends told him about a pond with a playground right next to it that has, he says, "TONS of fish." Eventually I was able to piece together that he's referring to the Sandy Urban Fishery near Riveroaks golf course. I'm not familiar with it. Anyone have any thoughts?
Bluegills will be anywhere at Willow, especially near cover.

I used to fish the Sandy pond quite a bit. It's got quite a few bluegill, although Willow seems to have more. When they start stocking it with trout again, you can expect pretty good trout fishing. For now, catfish are probably a better bet.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My kids had a blast at Mill Hollow again. Like your boy these two had to earn it as well. View attachment 68713
They tried a little chipmunk hunting while there as well. View attachment 68721
Nice, looks like they're having a blast! My boy has that same bow. Though his "ready stance" isn't quite as well developed as your son's. Kid looks like a natural.

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts
The pond in Sandy has playground, and there is also Kidney and Midas Ponds in South Jordan, in the river bottoms, just south of 106th. They are in a park with paved trails, some playground stuff, restrooms, very nice little place. Great kid fishery too.

Reactions: WEK
1 - 16 of 16 Posts