Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone shot a muley buck and bull elk in the same year that has combined scores of over 500"? If so, what was the combined score of the two? This is my new goal for next year.

·
Registered
812 Posts
not yet but 2008 has a certain good luck feeling about it. i will keep you posted come fall. while doing it with the bow.
<<--O/

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
callofthewild said:
not yet but 2008 has a certain good luck feeling about it. i will keep you posted come fall. while doing it with the bow.
<<--O/
All you will need is a 120" buck at most. :lol: 8)

·
Registered
876 Posts
All you will need is a 120" buck at most.
Exactly what I was thinking PRO, once one has the LE elk tag, the deer should be the easy part, heck with the right bull, a forky muley could get someone in.

I don't know, but I think the dedicated spike hunters (and pretty much everyone else with exception of the lucky 3% who draw LE tags) will struggle with this one.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Of course I had a great and lucky year, but I only made the 420" club this year with my bow. That is if my bull is 260. I have not measured yet, but have been told, "maybe 260"".

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=511

Epek did shoot a great buck this year, but it won't be more than 160. The g4s and g3s look about 8 or 9 inches. The deer on the left side has a longer g2 (11inches) than on the right side g2 8 inches, The main beams are 22 inches and inside spread 20 inches

Fantastic buck!!!

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
I would be very happy to make it over the 400" mark with my bow and 500" with the gun. Epek, what a year. Congrats

·
Registered
154 Posts
908" three years ago, a 380 bull in arizona, a 343 bull in idaho, and a 185 buck in good ole utah, it was a fun year.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Archery said:
908" three years ago, a 380 bull in arizona, a 343 bull in idaho, and a 185 buck in good ole utah, it was a fun year.
Wow! I'd say that would be a 'fun year'. I would be happy with any one of those in a year!

Ridgetop, sounds like a pretty good goal to me. I'll tell sawtooth to get the camera ready :D

·
Registered
623 Posts
Yup, green score 158 and some change, and although it is a very decent buck, with great fronts, it was still just a young one and could have used a little bit longer in the oven. I don't know what the bull actually scored, but I will say this, if anyone had a funner year than me, they sure accomplished a ton.

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
Epek Just curious, and I'm in no means trying to put down your accomplishments. How many days did you spend in the field, this year for your two magnificient animals?

·
Registered
623 Posts
fixed blade said:
Epek Just curious, and I'm in no means trying to put down your accomplishments. How many days did you spend in the field, this year for your two magnificient animals?
The correct but general answer would be every day I can, but it equated to about 40 days affield. And I understand how you might think that it took me so long to harvest two animals, and the fact is, it did. I had a few other times that I nocked an arrow, and a few that I even got drawn back, but these were the only two animals I got to touch off on. I do spend a lot of time looking for critters, a lot of time, figuring out how I screwed one opportunity up or another. But if I would have slept in on either of these days, I would be skunked. I spent almost every weekend this year with some sort of opportunity to hike, (I summitted six peaks this spring and summer, Grandier, Olympus, Twin, Lone, Box Elder, Timponogas) and hiked into numerous other springs, rivers, lakes, and "HONEY HOLES". I learn more and more every year, but one of the main things I can tell you is that to me, hunting mule deer is hard, and elk is a bit easier, but not that easy. I bet there are a ton of people out there that when the buck hunt is over they think they will just go up and pop a doe, only to still have their tags. My point............ Successful hunting has a little to do with being a decent hunter and understanding the basics, but it sure has a ton to do with luck. The more you fill in the gaps, the luckier some people seem to be, and I understand this, but luck plays a very important role in all of this.

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
ridgetops said:
I'm talking about general season for both. If L.E.'s are included add another 50 points. :D
General season in Utah? That would be a feat for sure, in fact in todays environment dang well impossible. You would need a 330" bull and a 170" buck, tough to get either on general season, then to get both in the same year, tough to do. I believe CalloftheWild will get into the 500" club in 2008, maybe even his hunting partner for next fall will luck into the club as well. :shock:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts