Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide between the 7mm-08 and the 25-06 for my next rifle. It will be used mainly for deer. I have a 30-06 and a .243 already so I'm looking for an inbetween caliber.

If you had to choose between these two which one would you choose and why? Any brand preference?

sawsman

·
Premium Member
8,234 Posts
Easy.....25-06 Browning 1885

Most accurate firearm in the world..... :mrgreen:

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
.280 remington. The most deadly dear gun out there. Basically a 7mm bullet with a 30-06 cartridge. But If your only going with your 2 choices I would say 25-06.

·
Premium Member
4,049 Posts
Do you prefer a long or short action? Bolt, lever, auto, single shot? Do you hand load or use only factory ammo? There isn't any practical difference in the effectiveness of these cartridges. With a proper bullet and decent bullet placement, either cartridge will kill any deer that you shoot.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I would go with the 7mm-08. Actually that is one of the next calibers I am looking to buy a rifle for. Those who I have talked to that own one have only had good things to say about it.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Both are good calibers. I'm what you might call a bit of a 7mm fan, especially short action 7mm like the 7mm-08, .284 Winchester, or 7mm WSM. Over the years I've really started to like light rifles more and more. Short actions save weight. 7mm gives you a good variety of bullet weights to choose from, all having very good ballistic coefficients. The more I hike and carry a rifle, the more I want it to be light and easy to handle.

My favorite rifles would be:
Weatherby Ultra Lightweight @ 5 3/4 pounds
Remington Model 700 Titanium @ 5 1/4 pounds
Remington Model 700 Alaskan Ti @ 6 pounds
Browning A-Bolt Mountain Ti @ 5lbs 7oz
Used: Winchester Model 70 Featherweight @ 6.5 lbs

The titanium models can all be had in standard versions too for quite a bit less money and about 1.5 pounds more weight. All are offered in 7mm-08.

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Preferably a bolt action. Long or short. Factory ammo...I dont roll my own yet. I understand either one will do the job. Yes, bullet placement is paramount.

Just like some opinions from those who own one or both of these calibers as I do not.

I'm leaning towards a Cooper or maybe a Kimber, too many options, know what I mean?

sawsman

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks threshershark, that's the kind of response I'm looking for!

How about the new Browning X-Bolt?

·
Premium Member
8,234 Posts
Cooper... :) :) ...I like those....

How about a Tikka ? They seem well priced and look good ?

·
Administrator
21,449 Posts
My daughter shoots a Tikka .270, it's a fine firearm.

I have a 7mm-08 and a couple of 25-06s.

The 25-06 gained popularity fast and has been around longer than the 7mm-08 which was developed about 12 years later and didn't catch on too fast. With so many new calibers out there, especially the short mags, the 25-06 is starting to lose favor. Recently gunmakers have pulled the caliber from some models.

Comparing normal deer hunting bullets, say a 115 gr for the 25-06 and 140 gr for the 7mm-08, they share about the same trajectory, but the 7mm has more down range energy. Geeze, I love the 25-06, it's just inherently accurate at long ranges, but it just doesn't knock-em down like the 7mm-08 does. I can hit most any deer at 400 yards, but it better be a well-placed shot because the bullet has lost it's poop.

The short action 7mm-08 comes in some light weight, fast-shooting rifles like the Remington Model 7. The Model 7 is a great rifle, especially if you backpack hunt or hunt in rough terrain on foot. And the Remington triggers are great (and adjustable). Now they have the XCR trigger, suppose to be very crisp (and still adjustable). My 7mm-08 is a pump, a very fun and accurate rifle. My next 7mm-08 (or replacement) will be a Remington Model 7 with the XCR trigger.

My choice would be the 7mm-08.........Remington Model 7.

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts
Great info. Can you compare the 7mm-08 with the .270 or .280?
That is my question too. For an inbetween 30-06 and 243, it would seem that 270 would be the ticket. For factory loads, there seems to be more available for 270 - I don't know though. In a day where we have Cabelas and Sportsmans, finding ammo isn't nearly what it used to be. Back in the day I had a 303 brit. That was a royal pain to find ammo. I'd be interested though - how the 270 would fit in when compared to the 7mm-08 and 25-06.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Re: .270 vs .280

Uh-oh watch out for a post by Loke on this one!

.270 and .280 are very similar cartridges, both more powerful than the 7mm-08. Here are a few thoughts:

-- Possibly the best deer cartridge ever made.
-- Very common, meaning you can get ammo easily even in the smallest towns and shops.
-- Great ballistics of the .277 bullets from 100 grains to 130 grains. 150 grain bullets are available but they are loooong.

-- Slightly bigger bullet diameter of .284 (7mm) seems small, but accounts for a 5% bigger frontal area. This punches a bigger hole.
-- Similar ballistics, only common bullet weights are 140, 150, and 165. IMO this makes the .280 a better dual purpose rifle for those who hunt elk in addition to deer. Many will argue that a good shot from any high powered rifle will kill an elk, but it's a simple fact that results are more consistent on big, heavy animals with heavier, larger bullets.

Both are long action, which means you sacrifice some of the light weight goodness of the shorties. You can achieve similar and better results in a short action by going to the .270 WSM or 7mm WSM.

If I was buying a deer-only rifle today and wanted light recoil, it would likely be a 7mm-08 or .270. If I wanted a deer and elk dual purpose rifle with reasonable recoil it would be a .280. If I was after a deer and elk rifle for extended ranges, and could accept a bit more recoil as a trade off, it would be a 7mm WSM or .300 WSM.

·
Administrator
21,449 Posts
Gumbo said:
Great info. Can you compare the 7mm-08 with the .270 or .280?
The 270 is a great all-around gun, many, including myself, have taken everything from antelope to elk with it. I've never shot a 280, but know it has about the same trajectory as the 270 but just a little more down range energy all things being equal. 7mm bullet selection for the 280 is broad, better than the 270 IMHO. The 270 has been around since 1925, the 280 was introduced in 1957. Maybe that's why the 270 is more popular.

Using the same 140 gr bullets the 7mm-08's trajectory and down-range energy is very comparable to the .270. The 7mm-08 kicks a little less too. What's nice about the 7mm-08 is it comes in a short action and you have the option to get one in a smaller, lighter package like the Remington Model 7.

Blah, blah, blah. They are all pretty close, the deer wouldn't know the difference. I have a lot of guns, geezus. My favorite................ a synthetic and stainless Remington Model 7 in .308 because it's light and quick handling, versatile and above all the bullets go where I point them and they go where I point them because it is the gun I shoot the most. It's all about bullet placement so practice, practice, practice.

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have no doubt that the 7mm-08, 25-06 and the 270 will take deer cleanly with good bullet placement. Thanks for the replies.

I think I'm leaning towards the 7mm-08 though. :mrgreen:

The tougher choice to make is which make and model? The Remington model seven does look like a nice rifle also.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Both are terrific rounds and honestly you can't go wrong. The .25-06 is more varmint-oriented, but you already have a .243 that has lighter recoil for that. It takes a long action and is very fast and needs a long barrel. It is really a magnum .25 in performance, if not in name.
The 7mm-08 is probably somewhat easier for a handloader to work up an accurate load for because of its less fussy short case, and is a known accuracy round in general, and comes in a short action and works with a shorter barrel. In most cases it can be lighter and handier if a lighter "mountain rifle" type is what you want.
Either with proper bullets will cleanly take deer if you do your part. Both are well-proven in that area as effective. I like both, have a .25-06, but would probably choose a light weight 7mm-08 if I were you right now - but I may change my mind tomorrow and go the other way... so I can feel your pain in the decision-making process - absolutely agonizing! *\-\*

I also have a .270 (& .30-06 & .243) and from my experience, I don't feel that the .270 Win. (or .280) is an "in-between" rifle in the sense you are looking for. They are very close to the .30-06. The 7mm-08 and the .25-06 fill that bill much better, as does the .260 Remington and 6.5x55mm Swede.

I'm leaning towards a Cooper or maybe a Kimber
Much depends on the rifle you want the caliber in. Many don't offer one or the other. Or perhaps you can't get a certain caliber in a certain model variation.
For instance Cooper only lists the .25-06 in their Model 52 3-rd REPEATER. The 7mm-08 is only available as a Model 22 single shot. http://www.cooperfirearms.com/actions.html

Kimber lists the light short-action Model 82M in 7mm-08 and the 8400 Standard in .25-06 - both are repeaters.
http://www.kimberamerica.com/rifles/

Tikka lists both calibers. http://www.berettausa.com/product/product_rifles_main.htm

Remington lists the 7mm-08 in the slick little Model 7 in both the CDL version and the XCR Camo version. I think the latter is my favorite. http://www.remington.com/Products/Firearms/Centerfire_rifles/Model_seven/

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm going to have to go and fondle some of these choices to see which feels the best.

·
Administrator
21,449 Posts
sawsman said:
I'm going to have to go and fondle some of these choices to see which feels the best.
It is wise to fondle before taking ownership.

·
Premium Member
8,234 Posts
wyogoob said:
sawsman said:
It is wise to fondle before taking ownership.
Ditto....let us know the results of that fondle... :)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts