Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I’d give Pineview a try today. I got up to the dam about 10:30 and turned over the dam and headed north. There was not a single person in the Narrows area and no vehicles across from the first house on the right. I was using my ATV, so headed around to the boat launch. A 4X4 is absolutely the only way to get in there with all the snow. I followed the tracks and still almost got stuck a couple of times.

Anyway, unloaded the ATV and the QF II and headed for the ice. Made it around the first point going to the Narrows with no problems. Then the bottom fell out. Does the word ‘SLUSH’ conjure up any images? I was stuck big time.

I unhooked the QF II and managed to get unstuck with a little effort and moved closer to the shoreline. Dragged the QF II over to the ATV, hooked it up, and went another couple hundred yards and became mired in more slush. ****, I hate it when that happens.

After the fourth repeat, I figured the Narrows was an unattainable goal for the current conditions. I drilled a couple of holes and found the depth to be 30 feet. Down went a couple of lines and the wait began. After an hour of nothing, a moved out a little and found 36 feet of water. Down went the lines and I waited some more. Nada! Zip! Zero! No fish.

I was marking a few at between 15 and 20 feet, but couldn’t get any takers. I called it a day at about 2:30. The trip back to the launch was clean. There were two other trucks at the launch and four people fishing near the docks. I didn’t stop to ask how they were doing.

After getting loaded up and heading back towards Ogden, I did see two separate people fishing in the Narrows. Also, two separate people walked in from the day use lot just west of the boat launch.

As far as the ice goes, it was about 3” of clear on the bottom and 3” of cloudy on top of the clear. Then an inch or two of water with about 5 to 6 inches of snow on top of that. Clearing the slush away down to the cloudy ice left about 2 to 3 inches of water above the ice hole.

That’s my story, and I’m sticking to it.

I don’t think I’ll be using the ATV up there again until it gets cold enough to freeze the slush.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I had the same result yesterday-no love. All you can do is try again. Hope you get back at it with better luck soon.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LOAH said:
How deep were the slush pockets?
About a foot, give or take a couple of inches.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts