Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was lucky enough to be picked to show MWscott around the Stansburys yesterday looking for sheep.:shock:
What pressure!:cool:
Well, we didn't see any of the older class 4 rams but we did see about 30 or so young rams like the ones pictured below and the rut is just starting to begin.
We did see several head butt smacking going on too but I was having camera problems and couldn't get any on film.
What a fun day, thanks for the invite Mike.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Cool pics. Sounds like a blast with more to come. This really makes me question my current OIL choice.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
AWESOME coat on that ram....:!:...

Hope I draw the sportmans big horn tag.(dreaming)
I'd love to look at that unit......:cool:

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
What a cool day! A big thank you to Koby (Ridgetop) for taking the time to get me oriented out there. I couldn't believe how bleak and large that range is...it certainly doesn't look that way from the highway, but you would think you were on another planet once you get in there.

What a treat to get to see sheep and LOTS of them. I know the picture here doesn't do it justice, but in the first band of sheep that we found, this ram had the most stunning cape on him that I was tempted for a half second to shoot him just because. Can't wait to see his dad or grandpa in the coming weeks.

Seeing bighorns butt heads was a treat in and of itself. Sounded like two bowling balls crashing together - no wonder they look half dazed and confused after doing it...just to do it again and again. Highlight of the day was watching as three rams chased a ewe up and down the mountain making a 200 yard loop several times at full speed. Wish I had that endurance. The kicker was watching as the ewe and bigger ram made it to the top of a small 10 foot rock outcrop, then watching as the ram turned around and cracked the younger ram that was following and half way up the outcrop...sending him flying backwards and landing on his back wondering just what had just happened. Wish Koby's video camera could have caught that...it was footage that any hunting show would have loved to have had.

Thanks again Koby. What a privilege to have the tag and for so many good folks on here that are willing to share their knowledge of the area. It's going to be hard to concentrate at work this week!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Please forgive my ignorance but are these Desert BH or Rocky Mountain BH?

I'm building points for my son towards Rocky Mtn. BH and just wanted to clarify. Awesome pics and I'm sure it will be an awesome hunt!

·
Registered
580 Posts
Awesome Job to both of you, Super Jealous that you have the tag and the chance to be chasing them. Thanks for the pics and keep us posted on your adventures!

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rocky's are on the stansburys!
Yes, they fall under the "Rocky" OIL draw but they are actually California Bighorns.
Which are a smaller sub-species of the Rocky's.
Like the blacktail deer are to the mule deer.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I did some research after drawing the tag and found out that "on average" the California rams are going to be 50 lbs or so lighter than the Rockies. I believe the world record California is an upper 180s ram while the Rockies have broken 200. No matter...those Californian's look impressive thru a spotter. Especially with tag in hand!

Another note - the sheep on the Stansbury's are transplants from Antelope Island. I'm not sure where the AI sheep came from though.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I did some research after drawing the tag and found out that "on average" the California rams are going to be 50 lbs or so lighter than the Rockies. I believe the world record California is an upper 180s ram while the Rockies have broken 200. No matter...those Californian's look impressive thru a spotter. Especially with tag in hand!

Another note - the sheep on the Stansbury's are transplants from Antelope Island. I'm not sure where the AI sheep came from though.
British Columbia in 1997 and Nevada in 2000

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Doo-Dah ,him and his buddies used to kill some big bucks up in the steep and deep many moons ago.
I met with him one day. He sure does have some great stories.
His story about his ram and Ty about killing him getting to his ram and then Darold scooting down on his behind in the dark while getting down off the cliffs, gave me a good laugh.
For being in his 80s, he was a real inspiration to me to keep going.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts