Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it was probably one of the best general seasons in possibly a decade. I saw many gs bucks bigger than many LE bucks. Lots of success on 3 and 4 points it seems. Glad everyone who had a good year. Now I just wonder how our winter will be. It's looking strong for the southern end of the state with El Niño, and the storms continue to push through weekly. We are definitely in need of some good water, I just hope lots of snow doesn't come with lots of bitter cold this winter. Here's to hoping our deer herd doesn't end back up at square 1 again. This was a great year, I sure hope we don't see a big crash with a heavy winter.

Reactions: 35whelen

·
Registered
580 Posts
the season and the bucks I saw harvested were in fact as good as a lot the l/e bucks you had to hunt for them but they were there a buddy and myself went out riding every night and there was not one night we could not have harvest a buck maybe no a smoker but a two year old. like it are not plan 2 seems to be reestablishing the local herd and though I may not get a tag every year when we do get one we can hold out for the mature bucks

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No we need alot of snow. Just all of it above 8500 ft elevation
let's hope for that. I think we might be in for the snow part, above 8500 feet would make things amazing.

·
Registered
681 Posts
the season and the bucks I saw harvested were in fact as good as a lot the l/e bucks you had to hunt for them but they were there a buddy and myself went out riding every night and there was not one night we could not have harvest a buck maybe no a smoker but a two year old. like it are not plan 2 seems to be reestablishing the local herd and though I may not get a tag every year when we do get one we can hold out for the mature bucks
Unless option 2 has a hidden advantage controlling the weather I'm not sure it can be attributed to much of the latest success. As 1deer stated, several years of mild winters and temps have had more to do with the turn around than anything else. One bad winter and option 2 will fall as flat as a lead zeppelin. (For you old rockers).

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Option 2 has nothing to do with anything. Weather is what has made this year great. Our deer herds are on a ledge right now and if winter gives them a bit of a push it'll be back to scratching heads for everyone. It's been a great year and one I've really enjoyed, I honestly can't wait for the rut in a couple weeks. I'm just saying that this is the strongest El Niño affect that has been recorded, and the 2 that were as strong were in 82-83 and 96-97. If those winters are an indication of what's to come it's going to be wet. Hopefully the snow and cold stays high and doesn't blast the winter ranges in lots of snow and bitter temps or our upswing is going to have a sharp plummet.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Best GS deer hunting since 1992 on the units Im looking at......

Now what?--------HUNT THEM ..:!:...;-)..

Cant wait til next year!

Reactions: torowy

·
Registered
9,946 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but is option two where they broke the units up into smaller ones?
The smaller units have existed for decades, we even managed these units independent of other units (season length changes on the nebo for instance). What Opt 2 did is restrict hunters to specific small units.

-DallanC

·
Registered
132 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but is option two where they broke the units up into smaller ones?
The smaller units have existed for decades, we even managed these units independent of other units (season length changes on the nebo for instance). What Opt 2 did is restrict hunters to specific small units.

-DallanC
I have to say that I hunted the general deer hunt for 2 years before they went with option 2 and these were my first two years of hunting and it was very discouraging because we saw very few bucks and lots of people. Once they went with option two we saw more bucks and less people. I think it has helped and I'm willing to hunt every other year if it means better bucks and not as many crowds

·
Registered
401 Posts
I don't know if it was that great, good maybe, remember tags are way down compared to 1992. Plus, I've seen better years on manti in the small section that I hunt. Not enough deer, to many people. It used not be so crowded. I don't know what's happened with how many people I see now. Maybe they are party hunting without licenses. I guess we will see what will happen with winter.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Worst general season in our area that I've ever seen. Where are you hunting, me and 3000 other guys are looking to switch :D

-DallanC
Monroe where the weather was the same as your unit. But they did kill 90 dogs in a day. And have put a stop to unlimited after work harvest by every Tom Dick and Harry from Richfield.

Maybe that has played a role in the improved hunting there.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Well it was probably one of the best general seasons in possibly a decade. I saw many gs bucks bigger than many LE bucks. Lots of success on 3 and 4 points it seems. Glad everyone who had a good year. Now I just wonder how our winter will be. It's looking strong for the southern end of the state with El Niño, and the storms continue to push through weekly. We are definitely in need of some good water, I just hope lots of snow doesn't come with lots of bitter cold this winter. Here's to hoping our deer herd doesn't end back up at square 1 again. This was a great year, I sure hope we don't see a big crash with a heavy winter.
What were you able to harvest this year?

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Option 2 has nothing to do with anything. Weather is what has made this year great. Our deer herds are on a ledge right now and if winter gives them a bit of a push it'll be back to scratching heads for everyone. It's been a great year and one I've really enjoyed, I honestly can't wait for the rut in a couple weeks. I'm just saying that this is the strongest El Niño affect that has been recorded, and the 2 that were as strong were in 82-83 and 96-97. If those winters are an indication of what's to come it's going to be wet. Hopefully the snow and cold stays high and doesn't blast the winter ranges in lots of snow and bitter temps or our upswing is going to have a sharp plummet.
What about 09-10? We had record snow on Monroe. More than 97.

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
El Niño isn't the the only thing that affects weather, but strong weather has indicated an above average snowfall for the southern parts of the state. This is the strongest on record. Weather isn't a guarantee and neither is El Niño by any means. We've had a pretty wet cycle this year and if it continues with a strengthening El Niño it could be a very wet winter.

And I harvested a 26" 4 point 30-06

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Are you thinking of 10-11, that was the last real record winter we had around here, was shoveling snow until May and Alta/Snowbird reported around 800 inches that winter. I hope we get hit hard this year!

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
^^^^ correct.

If you look at the statewide deer herd population graph it doesn't show a crash in the deer population for that winter. What gives?

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
^^^^^ Snow, and lots of it is NOT what kills deer...

Its the extreme COLD temps they cant take...^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Reactions: bowhunt3r4l1f3
1 - 20 of 25 Posts