Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fatbass, Nibble Nuts and I went out to Birch Creek today. I know there are those who don't consider the lake to be public, but I checked with the county and the DWR and come to find out it is. Plus, all three of us have known about the lake long before any untimely admissions from either forum and it's not super special or secret to any of us, so we're just gonna tell you where we were at. Plus, there were at least 15 other people there today, so maybe Birch Creek truly isn't a seceret.

Anyway, it was cold as hell when we got there and the fish were a bit sluggish. Nuts soon hooked into the first fish of the day. Fatbass took that picture and will post it later. Fatbass hooked up next with a nice looking female. Here she is...[attachment=3:3f0hkprd]FatbassTiger.jpg[/attachment:3f0hkprd]
I was the next one to hook up, and here is the photo.[attachment=2:3f0hkprd]J-bassTiger.jpg[/attachment:3f0hkprd]

Nuts then hooked up again with a tiger, but it flipped of his lure, landed on shore, and splashed back in the water, so no photo.

To re-cap the action, Nuts was using a white tube jig tipped with a worm up to this point, and I was using a minnow. Fatbass can explain his setup later, if he wants.

I then proceeded to hook up with two more fish in a row. The first of the two was a way nice looking male who streched the tape at 20.5". He is my best Tiger to date and was quite a beauty. Fatbass has a pic and will post it later. The second of the two was a pretty female, who I just released without a picture.

The final fish of the day was also caught using a minnow by Nuts. This SOB was a hog!!! It measured in at just over 25"!!! It put up one hell of a good fight too. We let 'er go and headed back for the truck as the sun was setting and the temperature was dropping. Here's a couple of pictures of the beast.[attachment=1:3f0hkprd]Thebeast.jpg[/attachment:3f0hkprd][attachment=0:3f0hkprd]Thebeast1.jpg[/attachment:3f0hkprd]
All in all, it was a helluva nice day out on the lake. We missed several more fish, but landed a total of seven. The scenery was beautiful, the company was second to none, and we walked away with two trout over twenty inches. You can't ask for more than that.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
It was a great day. I was great to land my first tigers. Fatbass is a kickass guy. Glad I got to meet him. J-bass, I think the screen on your phone's camera has become warped, everything look disproportionate, but at least it takes pics.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That sucks that you had to work man!!! You really got a bum deal on that one. Hope you get out and slay 'em tomorrow though.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Nope. I'm on baby patrol while my wife helps her family move. Gotta wait until Sunday. I was thinking about going there, but I'm really not sure. I may want to stay a little closer to home.

That hawg was a hungry one, eh? Nice job.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LOAH said:
Nope. I'm on baby patrol while my wife helps her family move. Gotta wait until Sunday. I was thinking about going there, but I'm really not sure. I may want to stay a little closer to home.

That hawg was a hungry one, eh? Nice job.
Baby patrol huh? Well, that comes with the territory I guess. I would recommend Birch Creek. It was a little slow, and waaaaay friggin cold, but we hooked into some good ones. I'll tell ya, we hooked four trout off of minnows, and every single one was hooked in the mouth, the treble hook popped out nice and easily, and they were all released, so that was good.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Sounds like a great time i have never caught a tiger trout O|* they put them in Panguitch lake and I live pretty close to there so maybe there is hope yet.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
fatbass said:
More to come tomorrow if anyone cares. _(O)_
I care, you likeminded, crazy a$$ fool!!! 8)

·
Registered
952 Posts
J-bass I think I caught the same tiger trout there with the wierd lookin jaw... Ill upload a pic of it later, they look quite simlilar if not the same.

·
Premium Member
8,234 Posts
I'm not sure about the 'tone' of this thread... :roll:

I can obviously read the report and say congrats to some fine fish...but the 'tone' seems to have a 'in your face ' sort of an attitude....kind of 'I can flaunt what a want' atmosphere.

To me it seems you guy's are reporting this just to prove a point !!...Yeah, we've all known about the place, I fished it 15 years ago. The DWR told me earlier this year about the size of the Tiger's. but, being a special place to some of our forum members, I chose not to say anything public about it.

I've held back on my 'fishing reports' lately, and will continue to do so..I don't like my fishing area's 'Shoved in my face' !!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Nice report guys, I'm surprised there's still that much water this late in the year. They used to really draw it down in the summer which led to unhealthy fish and fishing pressure was always heavy for such a small place. Do you know if they put TT in Woodruff too? It's just around the corner.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
From the stocking reports, they've left Woodruff alone for years. I wouldn't imagine that there are any tigers in there...Different drainage too, so they wouldn't have swum downstream to it.

Also, I understand that there's a "conservation pool" at BC that water users are not allowed to draw into. That's a minimum surface acreage of 400 and less than 1/5 of capacity. I don't think that it's quite reached that level, but it is very low.

...And for the record:

Any "secrets" about this reservoir have been out of the bag for long enough, so I can't say I'm offended that it was reported. In fact, I almost feel like a weight has been lifted off of my shoulders. There are a lot of people "out there" that know of it and they probably would rather not see the name posted on fishing reports, but that's the way the fish swims.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
.45 said:
I'm not sure about the 'tone' of this thread... :roll:

I can obviously read the report and say congrats to some fine fish...but the 'tone' seems to have a 'in your face ' sort of an attitude....kind of 'I can flaunt what a want' atmosphere.

To me it seems you guy's are reporting this just to prove a point !!...Yeah, we've all known about the place, I fished it 15 years ago. The DWR told me earlier this year about the size of the Tiger's. but, being a special place to some of our forum members, I chose not to say anything public about it.

I've held back on my 'fishing reports' lately, and will continue to do so..I don't like my fishing area's 'Shoved in my face' !!
I am sorry you feel that way .45. I hope I have not offended you at all. I almost never have a camera on me, so I rarely will make the original post of a fishing trip. I was assuming that it was understood that nobody held to any pretense anymore that this place is secret, so we assumed we would just state where we went. I am sorry you feel you cannot speak of your fishing trips on a fishing forum. That is what this type of site is intended for and I always enjoy hearing and seeing reports of people's trips, especially when pics are included. People like me should have no impact on trout fisheries because I am a bass fisher and only seek trout in the down season for bass, which is late fall and winter. If you post pics of a spot without revealing where it is, I would never mention where it was either if I knew the location. I never have. I never did so with BC, but this place has been hashed so much on here it would seem silly to try and keep it a secret. So, sorry if I have came across to you in the wrong manner.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Fatbass, I am glad to hear you were able to have fun even if me and J-bass are only 26/27. We thought you were in your thirties but it is cool either way. I love fishing and will go with anyone on here as long as they are 21 years or older. I was hoping things wouldn't seem ackward for you. I am glad we got to fish and take J-bass along, it is hard for me to leave my brother behind when he asks if I want to fish, so I figured you'd be cool with it if he went with, plus his truck has plenty of room. Hope to fish again with you.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts