Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I need some ideas on where to put a 63 year old women, that has one fake knee and one that needs to be replaced, in for her LE elk. She has 17 points and is pretty much confined to an ATV for said hunt. And PLEASE don't tell me she should not bother if she can't walk. She is not particularl to size, she has been waiting a long time to draw and its getting close. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
9,666 Posts
I'd say go with a area that you are familiar with.

If it was me I go back to the Book Cliffs. Lots or roads and lots of elk. With a little bit of riding and figuring out where to go she should be able to shoot a nice bull just off of the ATV.

·
Registered
162 Posts
It sounds like she would be able to qualify for a disability permit. They have different ones based upon a persons needs, she might be able to get one that would allow her to shoot from a vehicle or atv. Contact the dwr and they can help you get the forms you will have to have a doctor fill out. My dad does it for his crossbow permit each year.

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts
I'd go for the CWMU hunt at Deseret Land & Livestock. They'd do a GREAT job and would get her on a great bull. Those guys treat the draw hunters really well for the bull elk hunts, and especially someone with those challenges - I'm sure Tommy and the boys would help her have an exceptional elk hunt.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Do some google earth scouting of your favorite units and find the ones with the most roads then cross check those units with public access roads and go with the one that has the most roads with public access. More roads = more opportunities for her. All of the LE units have plenty of elk and if size isnt an issue getting a bull from an atv will be very doable. Many a hunter without physical limitations have dropped bulls by thier atv.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
The Late hunt on Monroe, Phavant, or Beaver......17 points should draw any of the three.

And forget the wheeler, shoot it from the truck.

Reactions: GeTaGrip

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
And PLEASE don't tell me she should not bother if she can't walk.
No judgment here. I'm just getting started on building my LE elk points, so I probably won't draw until I'm at least that old (just turned 21, btw :mrgreen: ).

My dad and another family member have done the Book Cliffs late rifle hunt, and there are certainly plenty of roads to drive out there. Driving is probably as effective as spotting - you can cover a lot of country out there.

17 points is overkill for the late hunt, and if you apply for it, you're taking a gamble with winter weather. I can't say that I would recommend it for your situation. 17 points probably won't guarantee a tag for the September season, although some bonus tags may be given to those in that point pool.

Good luck.

·
Registered
6,758 Posts
I'd go for the CWMU hunt at Deseret Land & Livestock. They'd do a GREAT job and would get her on a great bull. Those guys treat the draw hunters really well for the bull elk hunts, and especially someone with those challenges - I'm sure Tommy and the boys would help her have an exceptional elk hunt.
This would be the ideal. My family knows first hand what Tommy and his crew can do for someone in even worse shape than that. Unfortunately, based upon the 2015 draw it's going to take 20 points to draw a Deseret tag unless she gets lucky and pulls one of the remaining tags. Could happen, it's just not real likely. If you could wait a couple years the chances get better and I'm nearly certain they'd get her a bull. But sounds like you're on a time line shorter than what it might take to draw the tag.

This is a tough predicament. The units I've hunted there is generally good road access, but still requires some walking to be in shooting range of bulls, unless you are just lucky and see one on the road. Good luck! I hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
There are other CWMUs with good reputations Johnson Ranch is one I can think of off the top of my head (no idea what the draw odds are though). Redd Ranches on the La Sals might be a good one too.

I think a good CWMU with a disability waiver is the money for you.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys for all the advice and ideas . I hadn't put any thought into a CWMU. I think that may be the ticket for her situation, because you are right about the time line, don't know if she will be able in 3-4 more years. But a late hunt might be something she has to take a gamble with.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I think it is great that she has a bum knee and still wants to get after a nice bull. CWMU definitely seems like the best option. Good luck in the draw!

·
Super Moderator
9,666 Posts
Don't discount that artificial knee. I know a number of hunters and sportsmen that do more now since their knee replacements than they could before. It is mostly what you think that you can do. I now have two friends that have stainless hip joints and from what their doctors have told them they can go hunting this fall with no restrictions.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts