Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not one to post on these forums asking for help but this year is a little bit different. This year is the first that I have been able to take my son out with me and more than likely the last that my old man will be going due to health. My son is not hunting this year but he will be with my dad and I. Both my dad and I drew out for the general season deer in Box Elder, I do not want anyone's secret spots or honey holes and I am not looking to kill a trophy buck. I am just trying to find a spot where my son and his grandpa can have a successful hunt because it will likely be the only hunt that they go on together. If there is property that I can work on or pay for access (not alot) it would be greatly appreciated. I had big plans for scouting and hunting this year but life got in the way so if anyone can just point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you do a search for "Box elder" on here (or monstermuley) you'll come up with a bunch of posts with some basic tips. I also have this unit and life has gotten in the way of me going up there and scouting it out but any day hiking around is better than working! I'll be the bald dude that looks like he doesnt know what he's doing.. and I'll probably be huffin and puffin too. LOL

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Start doing some internet scouting, you still have time. If you don’t have onX use Google maps and Google earth.
Honestly though, get onX, it will give you landowner information so you can call and ask for access.

I get not being able to physically make it out to a unit to scout, I’ve been there before, especially when I used to travel for work but there’s no excuse for not doing some internet scouting

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I bought a leftover archery tag for this unit a few years ago, checked it out and decided to just hunt the extended range. Saw sign but no deer, at all, even waited until dark and used a top tier thermal scope, only saw a moose.

·
Registered
655 Posts
There's a lot of deer out there and a lot of private land. I wish I knew it better. I dated a girl that let me hunt her place once, nothing but does. And she got mad at me while hunting because I wasn't paying enough attention to her.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I work on the radar on top of Bovine peak that the Air Force has up there. Those juniper and pinon tree flats and draws always have a few deer in them. Hike some of the ridges and glass right at daylight. Good luck

·
Registered
170 Posts
Friendly reminder that success can be measured by more than harvesting a deer. As a boy I went on plenty of hunts with my grandfather where we didn’t fill tags, but still made memories and were what I would consider very successful. That said, I completely understand the desire to kill a buck with you all together to share that moment.

If I had information on the unit, I would help but I don’t. So my generic advice is focus on making it an enjoyable experience for son and grandpa and focus on the time together rather than the kill. When it happens it’ll be that much sweeter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts