Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if Utah has any laws about using frequency emitting devices in Utah waters that attract mayflies, zooplankton etc. that in turn attracts baitfish, and finally predatorial game fish? I can't find any info on this.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I wonder if this could be classified under chumming, where the definition under administrative rules R-657-13-2 states that chumming is "dislodging or depositing in the water any substance not attached to a hook, line, or trap to attract fish." if someone was after you anyways that is :wink:

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Thats an interesting thought. I like the maggot idea.

On another note I just noticed Fishglyph has joined the moderator ranks (been out for a day or two) Congrats!

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
fatbass said:
Nibble Nuts said:
Does anyone know if Utah has any laws about using frequency emitting devices in Utah waters that attract mayflies, zooplankton etc. that in turn attracts baitfish, and finally predatorial game fish? I can't find any info on this.
I've always wanted to put a bug zapper over a pond to attract fish. :mrgreen: Since there is no law prohibiting electronic attractors, go for it. It's kind of like a salt lick. It's not illegal, but is it ethical?

Back in Alabama, we used to hang 'possums and other critters unworthy of eating in tree limbs over bream ponds. For you Utahns, "bream" is the generic name for bluegills, shellcrackers (Redeared sunfish), and any other panfish. The rotting critters would rain maggots into the water and feed the bream and we always caught BIG bream under those carcasses. :)
Of course salt lick is ethical. Without it the cows will dehydrate in the summer. The salt lick makes them thirsty which also helps them eat, and next thing you know....no dehydrated cows.

So under that conceptual framework Fatbass, I think I may have to hit the lab and create a frequency emiiter. I can test it out by the piles of manure and see if the flies come to it. :wink:

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Obtuse.
That word reminds me of Shawshank Redemption. I am bordering on being obtuse again so back to the subject at hand. What would you use to test this piece?

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
A bum.... as in a person. I"m sure if one of them held it long enough, they'd attract bugs. 8)

Offer them a stiff drink and I'd bet they'd be falling over (pun intended) to help you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
waste not fatbass, back in louisiana i woulda ate the possum and still caught some bream along with some sacalait(crappies) and had a big ol possum and fish fry :wink:

·
Administrator
21,349 Posts
cajun1977 said:
waste not fatbass, back in louisiana i woulda ate the possum and still caught some bream along with some sacalait(crappies) and had a big ol possum and fish fry :wink:
Haven't heard "sacalait" for awhile, brings back some good memories.
"Laisez les bons temps rouler"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts