Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made a quick trip over to HN this morning to try and get ahead of the wind. I launched my tube at 6:30 and fished until 10:30, when the wind was starting to pick up. I used the usual fly tackle, fast sinking line (#8) and a size 8 bead head black/orange crystal bugger. I tried a bunch of other flies but that was the only one that caught a fish. It was not a stellar day, I picked up two 14" chubs, one 20" - 3 Lb, 3 oz. catfish, and had a decent rainbow on for a couple of strips. I only had a few other hits, so it was really slow.

The water temperature was 55-56 degrees and the visibility in the water of about 5'-6'. The reservoir is 95% full and stable. This is the only reservoir in Emery County that you can still launch a boat. :(

There was a guy fishing off the dock when I got there and another angler over on the south dike.
There were a few geese, grebes, loons, ducks, and an eagle that kept me entertained since the fish weren't very cooperative.

Water Sky Watercraft Boat Vehicle
Food Grille Hood Light Automotive lighting
Water Sky Mountain Fluid Coastal and oceanic landforms
Water Sky Mountain Coastal and oceanic landforms Lake
Water resources Ecoregion Map Water Natural environment

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
I find it interesting how frequently you use fast sinking line, as this time of year I have historically fished intermediate line with the most success.

Following your track you are spending a good amount of time in deeper water whereas the places I normally have toon fished I focus more on the shallows. But not exclusively.

I always enjoy the reports. Thanks!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I find it interesting how frequently you use fast sinking line, as this time of year I have historically fished intermediate line with the most success.

Following your track you are spending a good amount of time in deeper water whereas the places I normally have toon fished I focus more on the shallows. But not exclusively.

I always enjoy the reports. Thanks!
Your welcome!

I have used the fast-sinking line more than usual this year, mostly because of the windy conditions. It's easier to control and keep in better touch with the fly. I did see some rainbows feeding on midges early in the day but they were out in deep water. I have a friend that fishes with two poles on his pontoon. He uses an intermediate on one pole and a #4 sink line on his other and he usually gets more fish on the intermediate.
When the water warms up a bit I'll be using my #2 and my intermediate more if the winds settle down.
HN fishes a little different because of the fish that are in there. HN has wipers, catfish, browns, rainbows, bluegill/green sunfish, largemouth bass, and chubs. I have never done very well in the shallows there. Places like Scofield, Strawberry, and Starvation I fish more in shallow water than I do the deep water for the most part.

Try not to get blown away out there. ;)

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Ok, question for you guys related to what you were talking about. I'll be rigging up a reel for smallies soon and was wondering which type of line you would recommend? Intermediate sink or fast sink? Most of the smallies I catch out of Jordanelle are in about 15 feet of water or less.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, question for you guys related to what you were talking about. I'll be rigging up a reel for smallies soon and was wondering which type of line you would recommend? Intermediate sink or fast sink? Most of the smallies I catch out of Jordanelle are in about 15 feet of water or less.
Like you, I have caught most of my smallmouth in 15' or less at Starvation.
I would use either a #2 or #3 sink line. If your moving in your tube with 50' of #3 line out your fly will be pretty close to the bottom in 15'. If you use the cast, sink, strip method, you can cover the whole water column with the #3. If the water is real clear you may want to use a #2 and let out more line to keep from spooking the fish.
That's the fun thing about fly fishing, you never really figure it all out.

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
When I fish an intermediate line from my toon I’m generally fishing within 1-3 feet of the surface for the majority of the retrieve. I believe my sink rate is 1.5 inches per second and I’m generally not letting it sink at all after casting when I’m in the shallows. The retrieve keeps it up a bit rather than just letting it sink.

You could easily fish an intermediate line down deeper by casting and just letting it sink. You can count it down and get a reasonably good estimate of how far down it is when you start retrieving. But the intermediate line is not the best tool for specifically what you’re talking about.

I would probably do a type III sink line if I was rigging specifically what you are talking about. You’ll still want to let it sink a bit if you’re trying to get down 10-15 feet below the surface, but it would be pretty versatile for you at the same time.

·
Registered
All of it. Hiking is terrible without a gun or rod in my hands.
779 Posts
I would add that the weight (or not weight) on the fly makes a big didfference also. I like a bead head or conehead for smallmouth so it sinks a little faster and then I don't get as much bow in the line for the retrieve. Lots of fun!

·
Registered
204 Posts
By accident one day I discovered a type 4 full sink was pretty darn effective in 10-20 feet of water. I thought for awhile it had to do with the angle of the line on the water. Then I just gave up and went with it!
Slope Font Line Parallel Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
All of it. Hiking is terrible without a gun or rod in my hands.
779 Posts
By accident one day I discovered a type 4 full sink was pretty darn effective in 10-20 feet of water. I thought for awhile it had to do with the angle of the line on the water. Then I just gave up and went with it!
You just may have to wait a little longer to get it down to the depth, and fish a little slower. But they work!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts