Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really want to have a legitamate discussion in regards to tournament fishing in Utah.

For this discussion there's a couple things I want to keep out of it: 1.Anger 2. Ingnorance

Please, don't turn this into a personal attack on anyone or any group and please be openminded.

Here's the background: Bass tournaments in Utah are becoming increasingly difficult to hold. There is a sizeable group of avid anglers that would love to participate in tournaments held on OUR lakes, but are unable to in light of the restrictive regulations. Tournament variances have been repeatedly denied. The question is why?

Before anyone shoots back and attacks this issue with the idea that tournament anglers shouldn't be treated differently than regular anglers. We've all heard that argument before. It has nothing to do with the individual anglers. They are participants in an event.

The question I have is why not allow variences for approved events? They (DWR) just put into action new laws that will allow tagged fish events on basically all species (including salmonoids). So why is there so much negativity in regards to allowing participants in approved events to weigh live fish and then release them? If the appropriate COR is aquired for an event, why would having a live weighin varience be such an issue?

Like I mentioned earlier, my intention is not to draw battle lines, but to have real discussion in regards to the issue.

Thanks

Joe

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
HELLOOOOO, is anyone out there? Did I say something I shouldn't have? No discussion at all? Cmon someone stir the pot.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As the ole saying goes, "i've been called worse, by better people than you'll ever meet!" Oh ignorance is bliss!

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I guess, I'm ignorant because I thought they held a Bass tournament (wipers) on Willard Bay the past few years. The only complaint I heard was from the regular Joe Blow who was asked not to fish Willard the weekend the tournament was being held so as not to interfere with the professionals. Now if the professionals can't share the water with a regular old Joe Blow, then I don't want no tourneys.

·
Registered
622 Posts
HighNDry said:
I guess, I'm ignorant because I thought they held a Bass tournament (wipers) on Willard Bay the past few years. The only complaint I heard was from the regular Joe Blow who was asked not to fish Willard the weekend the tournament was being held so as not to interfere with the professionals. Now if the professionals can't share the water with a regular old Joe Blow, then I don't want no tourneys.
I fished at least 4 of the Willard tourneys and it is not just for tourney entries . It would be best for you to stay away from the marina when it is starting but other than that I see no problem with anyone else fishing . Actually it seems like a normal day on Willard with the tourney going on . Lots of room , just the marinas clogged up with boats . Oh and by the way , I don't feel like a professional , just a regular joe blow here that likes to fish .

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
So they do have tournaments, great that answers the question of the first poster. I think, (and my memory is getting bad) that it was posted on the old DWR website, that they were asking for people not to fish Willard during the tournament. It may have been a few participants requesting it and not an official part of the whole program. At any rate, that would be my only problem with a bass tournament for me. I would hate to see tournaments for our trout rivers and small lakes, however.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Only problem with Willard wiper tourneys is they are fish kill tourneys . That is the difference from a black bass tourney where they want to release the fish after weigh in . The ones I have been to are BFT tourneys .

·
Administrator
21,567 Posts
Can we waive the ignorance thingy?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What are the REAL concerns in regards to the "Black bass" tournaments? The reason I bring this up, is that current regulations are really putting a bind on all tournaments accross the state (including Flaming Gorge and Lake Powell) and I personally see the tournaments as a way to generate interest in fishing and a solution to a lot of problems the DWR is facing in regards to fishing.

It's a documented fact that live release Bass tournaments generate a lot of publicity for the waters that they are held on. I wonder why the DWR is so reluctant to embrace these types of tournaments? I've really worked on getting answers from a lot of different groups, ie: RAC's, biologist, DWR personel and for some reason there are things being said behind closed doors that are stopping any progress we (tournament fishermen) are trying to gain.

What is it that makes a live release bass tournament in Utah on our lakes so undesireable? I really don't understand.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.