Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all:

I was fortunate enough to draw a LE Elk tag and in preparation I recently ordered an Accumark .300 Wby. mag. I'm wondering if any of you have experience with handloading for a Wby.? In terms of seating depth, where have you found a "sweet spot"? I am aware of the freebore in Weatherby magnum rifles, so my plan is to start as far forward as my magazine will allow me to smoothly feed. I have already picked up some components and am planning on the following:

Weatherby (Norma) unprimed/unfired brass
IMR7828
180 gr. Nosler Partition
Fed 215 Primer

Thank you in advance for any feedback/advice.

Tim

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
No first hand experience here, but I've been around my FIL as he's loaded for his 257 Weatherby. He started at the recommended OAL for the particular bullets he was loading and then stepped out further from there. They all seemed to shoot pretty well at the factory OAL, but he never cared to waste more bullets than necessary. He shot groups that were close to .75 MOA and that was plenty good enough for a hunting rifle.

·
Bjorne Lou Tsar
3,340 Posts
TimJ, I got your PM and here's what I think of my 300WbyMag Accumark accuracy. I have rifles that are real hummers and shoot .14 - .50 groups. This isn't one of them. However, it does shoot 1 -1 1/5 groups all day with handloads. That's plenty good for hunting and shooting out to your point-blank range. My son and I have shot everything from coyotes to Kodiak brown bear with this gun. You'll love yours.
When I first got it I was a little miffed about the action smoothness. The bolt didn't seem smooth and kinda skittered along the rails when I slid the bolt forward. A $1400 rifle shouldn't do that. It wasn't long before it smoothed out and closed nicely.
All in all, it's my go-to gun when I rifle hunt because it's always been dependable and it just looks bad-azz too.
You're going to love yours.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TimJ, I got your PM and here's what I think of my 300WbyMag Accumark accuracy. I have rifles that are real hummers and shoot .14 - .50 groups. This isn't one of them. However, it does shoot 1 -1 1/5 groups all day with handloads. That's plenty good for hunting and shooting out to your point-blank range. My son and I have shot everything from coyotes to Kodiak brown bear with this gun. You'll love yours.
When I first got it I was a little miffed about the action smoothness. The bolt didn't seem smooth and kinda skittered along the rails when I slid the bolt forward. A $1400 rifle shouldn't do that. It wasn't long before it smoothed out and closed nicely.
All in all, it's my go-to gun when I rifle hunt because it's always been dependable and it just looks bad-azz too.
You're going to love yours.
Thanks Longbow! I agree, they are sweet looking and have a great feel about them. Does it seem to hold a fairly tight group out to 300-500 yards? Realistically, I'm no 1000 yard shooter, but would like reach out a little if necessary.

Thanks again for your time.

·
Bjorne Lou Tsar
3,340 Posts
I bet it has some pretty good punch way out there but I've never shot it past 325yds. I just don't have it set up to shoot past it's point-blank range. I haven't shot for groups past 200 but I'm getting 1 -1 1/2 inch groups with boatails at 100 so I'd imagine it'll shoot 2 - 3 inches at 300 with a proper rest.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
your components look fine to me, as i use the same. i found best accuracy in my mark v with imr 7828 as well. i assume that due to the extra freebore with weatherby is why i never found much difference in my seating depths. i was getting 3/8" groups at best with moderate consistency off of bags. it would hold under an inch at 300 on a good day. those numbers are with Ballistic tips/accubond and if i use partitions for a hunt then i adjust accordingly and start using those about a month before the hunt.

edit: after rechecking my data i'd say my averages are .75"-1" at 200 yards, as i shot that distance most frequently.

fwiw, i've been using lee neck and FL dies and found less neck tension with those than the rcbs full length. lee will change that if you send them back and specify what you want but i can't argue with the accuracy i've been getting.

-- i've only been reloading a little over a year, so my knowledge is limited. take my advice with that in mind.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts