Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the managment hunts, San Juan etc. Now if you harvest or do not harvest you lose all bonus points. Last year it was if you harvested a 5 point or less, you were able to have your points reinstated. A step in the right direction, but to use all your points on a OIL hunt for 5 point or less...? If you were to harvest a six point you would surender the elk and antlers to the DNR, so IMO the hunt is kind of poison.

·
Registered
801 Posts
The management hunts as they are set up now are not really appealing to me. They may be good for someone that just wants to kill an elk and doesn't mind using all his points to do so. I have always thought they should just call the whole unit a management hunt for one year and give out a butt load of tags for any bull you see. That would lower the population of bulls, give you at least a chance at a nice bull, and certainly many of the big wise bulls would survive. Within a year or two it would be right back to the same quality and you'd have fewer bulls in the herd. Such a management hunt could be run every 5 years or so on the units that need it.

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Why should these guys who kill a bull 5 point or smaller keep their points. Is there any logical reason why they should keep them? If you draw a LE tag then you lose your points pure and simple. If they get to keep their points then people with max points (14) who drew last year could draw three to 4 more times without losing any points. They wouldnt gain a point, but they need to be taken out of the system.

·
Registered
876 Posts
What I think they should do is

1. Increase the number of tags ten fold. The minuscule number of tags they offer now doesn't even put a dent in the problem.
2. Make a seperate draw pool for the management tags and give preference points to those who don't draw.
3. Make two diffent seasons for ALL management units, offer archery tags for use during the archery season and any weapon tags for use in a separate late season management hunt.
4. Have a 3 year waiting period for those who draw, regardless whether they harvest an elk.
5. Offer management tags on other LE units with similar management issues (i.e. Wasatch, Boulder). If we can't get I400 to go through, something else has to be done. :roll: :wink:
6. If a hunter is on a waiting period for a LE or management elk tag, the hunter is not able to apply for either tag until the waiting period is up.

This way you have incentive to put in for management tags because there is less of a waiting period than LE. There is also the benefit of preference points. The increase in tags will take people out of the LE pool freeing up tags for those who wish to draw a LE tag. There is also multiple seasons with different weapons to appease all hunters. The penalty is people have to choose whether to put in for management tags or LE.
Win, Win, Win.

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
This way you have incentive to put in for management tags because there is less of a waiting period than LE. There is also the benefit of preference points. The increase in tags will take people out of the LE pool freeing up tags for those who wish to draw a LE tag. There is also multiple seasons with different weapons to appease all hunters. The penalty is people have to choose whether to put in for management tags or LE.
Win, Win, Win.
Why have a waiting period if you are going to give preference points? They will fall back to the end of the line so they will already have a waiting period until they make it back to the front of the line.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Scrap the management hunt B.S. Just allocate an appropriate number of LE tags.

Note that you can take a mature bull with 6 or more points per side. The points just need to be broken, i.e., a 4 ft. piece of 3" pipe and a quick snap. So rather than deal with the problem for the benefit of the elk, let's allow an insignificant handfull of tags but not allow a nice rack on the wall to show for it because... :?: :?: :?:

Antler management is NOT sound game management and shows no respect for the elk at all.

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
a 4 ft. piece of 3" pipe and a quick snap. So rather than deal with the problem for the benefit of the elk, let's allow an insignificant handfull of tags but not allow a nice rack on the wall to show for it because...
Finnegan, which management hunt did you put in for because I would like to catch you in action with a video camera. :lol: :lol: :lol: Sounds like you have had experience with this before since you know the right size of pipe. Did you have one custom made?

Did you also get a patent?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts