Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't draw for deer this season, so I bought a elk permit; Any Bull Elk (Rifle). My dad from Arizona is coming up to hunt with me, it's been almost 20 years since we have hunted together, so I want to make it a good experience. We both have no idea as to where to go in Utah.

I have heard that Vernal and Tabiona area are good. I have also heard Payson canyon is good. That is how far I have got so far.

Surely someone can point me to a good (hopefully specific) location.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Thats alot to ask for your first post. about all you are going to get from most of the guys here is start scouting. That is by far the best advice i can give there are elk all over just start hiking. good luck

·
Registered
327 Posts
rockymountainelk said:
Thats alot to ask for your first post. about all you are going to get from most of the guys here is start scouting. That is by far the best advice i can give there are elk all over just start hiking. good luck
+1 Start NOW!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Here's some advice. Get the proclamation and find out which areas are open bull. Then don't bother scouting anywhere else.

·
Registered
238 Posts
it seems like everyone is coming down on the spike only units. i disagree the spike only units are fun too. elk are a huge animal and are fun to shoot whether they are a spike or a large bull, they have opened a lot of new areas to hunt spikes on get out and scout some of them read the proc and have fun being in the outdoors is fun no matter what your looking for especially when you with good company. get out and scout and have fun.

·
Registered
166 Posts
It just takes some work to find an area. Its hard sometimes to get time off and put off the honey do's and the yard work that needs to be done and find time to scout. But that's all part of the game isn't it?

·
Registered
629 Posts
If you shoot a bull on an "Any Bull" unit (public), you are extremely lucky or extremely experienced. Usually the only people that take bulls on these units are people that have done tons of research or have hunted it for many years. It takes hard work and experience to hunt these units. The bulls rarley bugle and there are hunters almost everywhere you go.
There's always a chance you could run into a bull, but even if you do it will probably be a raghorn. Your best bet is the Uinta mountains. Good Luck :wink:
You would honestly have more fun on a spike unit.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
HJB said:
If you shoot a bull on an "Any Bull" unit (public), you are extremely lucky or extremely experienced. Usually the only people that take bulls on these units are people that have done tons of research or have hunted it for many years. It takes hard work and experience to hunt these units. The bulls rarley bugle and there are hunters almost everywhere you go.
There's always a chance you could run into a bull, but even if you do it will probably be a raghorn. Your best bet is the Uinta mountains. Good Luck :wink:
You would honestly have more fun on a spike unit.
+1

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ive only ever seen sign on any bull units, never actually saw an elk. Isnt wasatch unit any bull? seemed like it was but i dont remember. I dont hunt around the valley mountains. Your best bet would have been to get a spike tag and go out deep into one of the spike units. Theres a lot more elk on those units, and in my opinion you have a better chance of success on a spike tag. As pretty much every one else will say, get out and scout your area. If you do enough of scouting you can be successful but itll be a bigger challenge. Actually just look at the proclamation, wasatch is spike. So youll have to get out further than any place im real familiar with. But for next year, Id recommend a spike tag or try to draw out somewhere in the central mountains.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts