Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a little advice. My teenage son and me are going on an Alaskan Cruise in the middle of June. We'll be in Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan. I'd like to do a little fishing while we are up there. I've registered for one of the cruise-sponsored outings in Ketchikan (bottom fishing for rockfish and red snapper out in the bay), but I'd really like to do some fly fishing on a river or stream up there. I figure it may be my one opportunity to fish Alaska, so I really want to give it a whirl.

Any ideas on places to fly fish, places to rent gear, hire a guide, etc... that are relatively close to these locations?

I'd also be interested in any recommendations you may have on the deep-sea options. I would reconsider my current chartered adventure based on recommendations you might have.

Thanks for your insights.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
I can give you some ideas. Been to all three places-- Juneau and Ketchican 6-8 times each. There are some very good places to catch fish and little tricks to make each stop a little more enjoyable. You can stop by or I'll send you an email.

·
Premium Member
11,689 Posts
i did the same cruise a few years ago. I would NOT do anything through the cruise line, you can literally do the exact same trip with many times the exact same charter for about half. Rock fish would be my last thing to fish for; they are essentially the carp of Alaska. Most processing plants wont even filet them for you as they only yield about 20% of their weight in meat. When i researched it we decided on Ketchikan as the place to fish and went the exact same week as you, only caught a 19" silver and a rockfish. just being out on the boat was cool, but tough time of year for salmon as only Kings are running then. Others in our group did a halibut/salmon combo and caught quite a few fish, 15lb halibut I think 2-3.
We did a Ketchikan trip last August and had a great time. Our lodge was about 3 miles NE of Ketchikan and did really well. Seems like most guides go south from the town.
Once you get to Skegway, we only fished Ketchikan, we rented a car and drove into the YT, way cool area, Emerald Lake was incredible.
BTW you do NOT need passports, but you do if you drive into the YT. we found a lot of conflicting info on the matter. Youll have a great time! In Juneau we found our own guide from Utah and went to Mendenhall Glacier, again for less than half of the price of what teh cruiseline charges. Cruiseline will tell you that theyll wait for you if booked through them, but all of these places compeltely rely upon teh cruise business, so theyll all have you back on time.

Reactions: AF CYN

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
How long are you in each port city?

In general--

-you can rent a car in each port city and go see the sites on your own. This is the cheapest, easiest option to see everything there is to see. The roads are not confusing.

-I would not book a fishing trip through the cruise. (The only reason to book any excursion through the Cruise is that they won't leave without you) There are options which can make the fishing trip more productive-- booking from a marina closer to the fishing areas is a big benefit.

-I wouldn't bring any fish home while on a cruise. It is so expensive to have it processed and shipped.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great insights. Thanks, Packout and Huge. I might contact you for more details in the near future.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
have only done one Alaska fishing trip. went out of ninilchik. a long ways from your port in Ketchikan. but man the halibut fishing was wild. drop it down and reel em up. all small, typically 25 to 50 lbs. you would pull one up and there would be 2 or 3 trying to get the bait off the hook of the one on the line. my wife quit after about 5 or six as she was plumb tuckered out. I kept on as long as I could and after 30 or 40 my arm was blistered sore, so we took out after salmon. only caught a couple of those... this was in mid may. if you think its your only trip... you might consider some other destinations? I would go back.. and will, in a heart beat to do that kind of fishing again. my wife would as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts