Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The past few years my hunting trips have been all but ruined by allergies. This is especially true of elk hunts. I'm fine while I'm hiking around but as soon as I stop to glass I start sneezing and blowing my nose like crazy. The archery hunt is obviously the worst but it's a problem all the way up to the first snow.
I've tried every medication I can think of; Zyrtec, Claritin, Benadryl, etc. Does anyone else have this problem? Any recommendations? I can't do another season like that.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
I have used Dymista (prescription nasal spray) and it has worked well. Over the counter meds don't seem to cut it very much (and I feel like I've tried them all). The best OTC I use is Alavert- you have to take it everyday and start before the allergies really hit, but it is fairly cheap. Good eye-drops- Naphcon A- also help. Guys who have never had allergies would never understand.

·
Super Moderator
9,666 Posts
Make a appointment with a allergist and go in and have the 28 or so pricks of death done to find out what you are allergic to. Then take it from there, you'll be a lot happier and not so drugged up.

·
Registered
416 Posts
My cousin came back from an LDS mission and was allergic to EVERYTHING. The allergist test pricks all came back positive except for like 3 I believe. He now goes in for allergy shots year round every month or so and is doing way better. I don't think it breaks the bank but it helps him a lot more than any medication.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info, everyone. I think the nasal spray might be the ticket. If I can get home and get some cold water on my face or take a shower it seems to clear things up almost instantly. In the meantime, I think I'll make an appointment with an allergist. Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
9,666 Posts
One thing on the allergy pills that you are taking, are you getting the ones behind the counter where you need ID at the pharmacy or just the ones out on the shelves? My allergist recommended that if I had a problem to take Zertec and get them from the pharmacy and not the ones just out on the shelves.

I do feel your pain, for years I had problems hunting turkeys in the spring down in the cedars until I got onto the good drugs.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I'd suggest getting tested for the specific plants and trees that grow where you typically hunt.

My son is allergic to sagebrush, so we try to stay in the quakies and pines. Obviously it isn't always possible to avoid sagebrush in Utah, but just being aware and trying to stay away from it does help mitigate the issue.

·
Premium Member
11,688 Posts
The ones with a D, Claritin-D, Zyrtec-D, etc. are the ones behind the counter that have the suphedrin in them, stronger stuff for congestion.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
i'd do what most others said but i'd also add one thing. find someone with bees in the area that you hunt and start buying up some honey. its no miracle cure but it will lessen your body's defenses to what you're allergic to.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts