Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody else watch this show? Seasons 6 and 7 are on Netflix and season 8 is officially underway on the history channel. If you aren't familiar with it, they take 10 people with survivalist backgrounds and each person is dropped off all alone with only a handful of items off of an approved list to help them survive. These items are things for shelter and building shelter such a tarps, sleeping bags, saws, axes, and the like. They can also bring snares, fishing line and hooks, a bow (longbow or recurve only) and some arrows, and other things for obtaining food. Many of them are successful in building primitive traps such as Paiute deadfalls for catching small animals. A pot for cooking and boiling water and a fire starting tool such as a ferro rod are also allowed. Past seasons have been in areas such as the Canadian Arctic, Mongolia and Patagonia. This season takes place in the aptly named Grizzly Mountain of British Columbia. I'm pulling for Clay Hayes from Idaho to win this year. I started watching his YouTube channel when I got into traditional archery, but I had no idea he was going to be on this season until about a week ago. Episode 1 just aired last Thursday. I think this has the makings to be the best season yet!

·
Administrator
7,917 Posts
I’ve never heard of it, but it sounds like a great show for me to start.

Im just finishing up Season 6 of SOA and will need a new show soon.

Thanks for the suggestion!

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’ve never heard of it, but it sounds like a great show for me to start.

Im just finishing up Season 6 of SOA and will need a new show soon.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Give it a watch! I think any outdoorsman type would enjoy it!

·
Super Moderator
9,623 Posts
It is interesting to watch and to see just what peoples priorities are when you plan on being in one location for a extended amount of time. It has surprised me at how many contestants don't put a higher priority on shelter and then food. I have seen some real nice shelters built on the show and then a few others that I wouldn't even consider for a weekend outing.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
I've watched and enjoyed a few episodes and notice 2 themes that surprise me. Given that these contestants are experienced outdoorsmen who are aware beforehand, I've been surprised by the obsessive fear of predators that some contestants seem to have. Maybe it's just for dramatic effect. Even more surprising is how many of the contestants whine about being alone. I suppose it is, after all, just "reality" TV?

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've watched and enjoyed a few episodes and notice 2 themes that surprise me. Given that these contestants are experienced outdoorsmen who are aware beforehand, I've been surprised by the obsessive fear of predators that some contestants seem to have. Maybe it's just for dramatic effect. Even more surprising is how many of the contestants whine about being alone. I suppose it is, after all, just "reality" TV?
I'm not a big fan of "reality" TV and manufactured drama. I don't really get that vibe off of alone though. The show has a pretty legitimate feel to me anyway. I know what you are talking about though. The first season or 2 had some real wannabe types that had no business being out there. I couldn't believe how big of Oscar Meyer weenies some of those guy were because they saw a bear or could hear wolves. The later seasons I feel were much better to watch than the earlier ones.

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
I watched the one season on Netflix when I was on covid isolation. It is the one in the Canadian Arctic. Not shocking to me the guy wearing Kuiu won... (take that, Bax!) I still want to know how they were able to hunt a moose. And that whole deal still fascinates

I’ll admit the first few episodes were very interesting, but they lost steam over time. I’d watch another season, though.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Last season was pretty amazing. The overall winner killed a musk ox basically by hand (knife I believe). Pretty amazing .

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
It was crazy to me that someone can have an entire moose and basically starve to death eating it over a 30+ day period due to the lack of fat in the meat.

I did learn some interesting things watch that season. Some of their shelters were incredible!

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
I saw the one that the guy killed the musk ox. That was a pretty tuff situation for sure. I always thought I could "hang out" in the woods living off the land, but after that show, I'll stay in the EZ Chair and watch someone else do it. Makes you look at your essentials you carry into the woods a little closer, at least it did for me.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Dang it peoples! Ya need to not spoil the show for those that have not finished it! I am on the last episode of season 7 on netflix and now I know who wins! flippin-A!

I have been really impressed with a lot of the females on the show--there have been some really talented survival gals. I find it interesting that they seem to do so well with less calories than the men.

I don't watch a lot of TV and never reality TV but my inlaws watched the show and insisted I would like it and should give it a try. They were right--it's the only reality show I have ever enjoyed and I think most outdoors folks would like it. Give it a try if you have not seen it--just don't spoil the ending!

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dang it peoples! Ya need to not spoil the show for those that have not finished it! I am on the last episode of season 7 on netflix and now I know who wins! flippin-A!

I have been really impressed with a lot of the females on the show--there have been some really talented survival gals. I find it interesting that they seem to do so well with less calories than the men.

I don't watch a lot of TV and never reality TV but my inlaws watched the show and insisted I would like it and should give it a try. They were right--it's the only reality show I have ever enjoyed and I think most outdoors folks would like it. Give it a try if you have not seen it--just don't spoil the ending!
Sorry if that was my post! I made a post with a spoiler in it without even thinking. Then I rushed to delete it, but maybe the damage was already done. Here's the bright side, though. There's a brand new season going right now only one episode deep that I can't ruin for you!

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
I get frustrated when people post spoilers as well, but what is the statute of limitations on not being able to talk about an episode/series/movie/etc? The season I hinted at the winner is two years old now. Is it just indefinite in this day and age of binging old series?

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I get frustrated when people post spoilers as well, but what is the statute of limitations on not being able to talk about an episode/series/movie/etc? The season I hinted at the winner is two years old now. Is it just indefinite in this day and age of binging old series?
I don't know the answer to your question, but I thought it would be fun to discuss the episodes of season 8 as the season progresses, so I added a spoiler tag to the thread title. Now nobody can say they weren't fairly warned! With that being said, has anybody caught the first episode of season 8 yet?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I don't have a problem with spoilers if mentioned in the thread header like colorcountry changed so we are good. I also understand the statute of limitations argument but I only have netflix and that season just became available to me on June 1st so to me it's brand new. It's not that big of deal--I finished up that season last night and it was still Awesome even knowing the ending. I think Roland is a freakin cave man--stubborn and tough! I can see him being hard to get a long with too. Would you guys hire him as your alaskan guide if you were hunting up there? I can definitely see some pluses and minuses hunting with him!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts