Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone knows about the easy ways of making fire, matches, lighter, fire steel...If you would like to learn of some of the older ways this month I am covering fire basics on my channel. Todays video is on Flint and Steel. Surprisingly fun to do if you get the time :p

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
I just carry embers around in a skull......until it goes out, then I'm on my quest to find more............

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
"Hello, boss? Can't come in today, fire went out. Uh huh......yep....yeah, 100 mile round trip trek on foot. Nope...no, yeah....can't buy a lighter, next thing I'll be pouring kerosene on the stove to light up and cook my dinosaur haunches. Right, yeah....signal fire on the mountaintop to signal successful completion of my quest. Ok, see you next week!"

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
Anybody still carry those old Fresnel Lens fire starters? Those were really popular for a bit, haven't heard much discussion on them in quite a while.

-DallanC

·
Registered
3,856 Posts

Reactions: Airborne

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I watched this on Netflix a few months ago. Not your normal movie going experience to say the least! I liked the movie though...pretty weird, but after thinking about it, it was probably pretty accurate in depicting human life 80,000 years ago. Keep in mind there is some nudity (none of which is 'sexy'). Overall it was worth the watch and is a movie that will stick with ya--It makes ya think what it was like back then for sure!

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
I watched this on Netflix a few months ago. Not your normal movie going experience to say the least! I liked the movie though...pretty weird, but after thinking about it, it was probably pretty accurate in depicting human life 80,000 years ago. Keep in mind there is some nudity (none of which is 'sexy'). Overall it was worth the watch and is a movie that will stick with ya--It makes ya think what it was like back then for sure!
A few months ago?, I had to watch that as a child :mrgreen: Not sexy? I guess if you don't have a cannibal fetish.........

What was your favorite one liner? Oh NM, its the only movie ever made that is not in any language, yet has no subtitles.

They did get to the bottom of how those Neanderthal genes got introduced though. 80,000 years later, and we are still huddled around it, talking about it, and amazed at the best ways to make it.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
"Why do you use these older more primitive fire starting methods?"
"Why don't you bring a lighter or matches?"

I wanted to answer these questions as honest and sincere and serious as possible...

I think some people get the wrong idea when I post something like this. They immediately proceed to think that perhaps im suggesting the NEXT BIG thing that will make life easier...by all means I am NOT.

I think people do more primitive ways of fire starting to connect with a more primitive past time as well as to have confidence in having to use it in a pinch.

It really depends also on what kind of person you are. Some people like to live comfortably(this is human nature) whilst others choose to push their limits. For instance:
I initially got into winter camping with the begging question within me "Can I do this?" I wanted to test my limits...now that I've been winter camping for 4 years I find it to be easy...So I have decided to push the limits...I went winter camping with no tent on the intention to survive in a quinzhee...why? because I wanted to push myself and have an experience which would give me the confidence to know how to act in a survival situation that I might need to use that. On occasion I now go hot tenting...because its a more comfortable means of winter camping but part of me still wants to push that limit...part of me wants to try going with just a wool blanket and sleeping in the quinzhee...who knows maybe ill try that next year.

So in conclusion...I carry all modern fire starters as well as ill take along a more primitive fire starter to test myself or just to have fun. Sometimes I want to camp comfortably so ill just use a lighter or a match. For me I am constantly trying to beat my own accomplishments...sometimes its primitive, sometimes its doing things without technologies help...Their my accomplishments and I don't care much for what others have achieved...I just want to beat what I have achieved previously.

I hope that helps explain why I have interest in these...it isn't that I resent technology or don't use modern ways...by all means I marry the two together when I get out to hunt or camp. It just makes me a better survivalist having all the best of both worlds.

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
Nice post Phorisc.

Reactions: phorisc

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
I get it, and appreciate it. It's the same as with sticks and strings, hell sometimes it is sticks and strings. And waaaaay safer than a modern drill......:mrgreen:

Reactions: phorisc

·
Registered
52 Posts
Starting fires primitive style is a great accomplishment and I think important to know as well. With that being said, my go to fire starter is a small bottle of rubber cement. Will start with a spark and acts like gas but burns for a longer time.

·
Registered
565 Posts

The trick is getting the middle of the gum wrapper really thin. Otherwise you just burn your fingers where you are holding the wrapper to the battery, and the wrapper never ignites.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Starting fires primitive style is a great accomplishment and I think important to know as well. With that being said, my go to fire starter is a small bottle of rubber cement. Will start with a spark and acts like gas but burns for a longer time.
nice ill have to try that some time. Someone told me using cotton balls and a few tubes of super glue will cause self ignition too...something about it heating up on its own...i have yet to try it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts